Author Topic: Maple backed red cedar/Finished pics on pg. 3  (Read 9366 times)

Offline Greg DeJanes

Re: Maple backed red cedar
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2018, 09:20:32 am »
 I thought  " that is a beauty " the first glance. If the bow is to correct draw wt. I would not touch a thing. The length will make for a comfortable shooter and tiller is too good to risk anything correcting.

My opinion!
Greg

Offline ohma2

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2018, 02:17:47 pm »
I like it also ,cedar anything gets my attention.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2018, 04:08:43 pm »
Thanks to all for the comments.Cedar seems to have an allure that draws some to wanting it to be bow wood for them.The look/smell/and potential I suppose.Adding to the difficulty most times is finding suitable wood for it.The maple cedar bond has been done many many times before.This was more or less a bucket list build.
I went to a fun shoot/build at Wright city.Mo. last weekend.Shot it a bunch with many there on a nice target course provided there.It's still ALIVE!!!Took the chrono to the event too.Did'nt know how it would be accepted but was pleased to see people shooting through it with many different styles of bows which said volumes on it's own.Favorable sunny conditions there did the trick too.What I found out was mostly that on those course shoots what impresses people most is hitting the 10 ring in the target with good arrow flight.Also helps a bunch in not losing any arrows too I might say.The quiet whispery flick these bows will have too.
I still could'nt resist to know what this bow I had would do for speed.The mid to upper 170's with a 10 grain arrow/FF string was about the limit @ 28".Fair to midland I suppose.Course the bow does not have much if any set back of handle of the tips but shoots very pleasant and clean.I've got self bows myself that do better than that but are'nt as pretty I suppose and definitely not as light in the hand.I'll get some finish on it as soon as the weather gets warm enough to spray it with my lacquer in the shed and probably just put a rawhide handle on it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 07:59:56 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2018, 04:16:17 pm »
That ought to make the contrast between the two woods pop out!  Remember to post more pics of the finished product!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2018, 07:56:43 am »
Mid to upper 170s is very far from bad, or even fair I would say.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2018, 08:12:41 am »
I guess that all depends on what your used to getting or have gotten,but your right it is'nt a slouch of a bow either.I'm probably my own worst critic.A backed bow should get into 180's I think with a 10 grain arrow.
That's the way it goes for me though.Some bows make like I like and some don't even paying as close attention as I can to them while tillering.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2018, 08:41:03 am »
Id say the upper 170s is a win win Ed I really like the smooth side profile transition from deflex to reflex bet it shoots shock free & stable !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2018, 08:44:33 am »
Yep Rich....That's #1 priority nowadays is how smooth they shoot.If they do that it's mostly all good.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 06:59:31 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Maple backed red cedar/finished pics on pg. 3
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2018, 11:21:46 am »
Finally got the finish on this bow.Still 42#'s @ 28".68" TTT.The finish did a little for the contrast.The poor mans' yew I've heard it called.Without the density & tight rings of course....lol.Really true too as the cost of good yew is rather spendy and this red cedar grows around me here.As you can see in the background of the bow pictured,but that one would not be a very good candidate for a bow to me.This bow was made with trunk wood from a large trunked red cedar.Using 1/2" thick core of cedar I think.I can't remember any more,and 1/8" thick maple backing.All edge grain wood.Sometimes big branches on large red cedars' are used too but made like self bows then with a flat grain on the belly.Most know this that have tried it before.Just info for newer bow makers out there.
Resting on an osage post.

Top view profile.

Belly grain.

Brace.

Full draw.

Pics of overlayed tips of cow horn.
Top limb.

Bottom limb.

Handle with my usual raised horn dot arrow pass.

Grain on belly.Both limbs the same.

Grain on back.Both limbs the same.

Thanks fellas for previous comments.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 04:38:11 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Maple backed red cedar/Finished pics on pg. 3
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2018, 01:34:40 pm »
Another good lookin' sweet shootin' Mr Ed stick!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2018, 03:13:18 am »
Thanks Mike.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2018, 05:10:50 am »
Knew it'd be beautiful. Nice work Ed.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2018, 05:42:08 am »
Ed Im Im impressed with that bow ,but Im just as impressed with your new photography skills , I suspect you have a helper 😃
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2018, 07:32:54 am »
Very nice.

Yes ERC has been called " poor man's Yew " for as long as I can remember and it is close but any knots makes a bow more susceptible to compression fractures.

Looks like a very "branchy" Juniper growing behind the bow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2018, 08:13:48 am »
beautiful!  I only tried it once with hickory backing and it fretted because I made it too narrow for the ERC.  I have to try it again with one made the proper width.  :)  I do have some big staves from a huge ERC that I cut on my farm a few years ago...most have an inch of sapwood.  I'm looking forward to seeing your bow at MoJam.  You did your usual great job.   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...