Author Topic: Maple backed red cedar/Finished pics on pg. 3  (Read 9528 times)

Offline barebo

Re: Maple backed red cedar/Finished pics on pg. 3
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2018, 09:27:18 pm »
Just saw this post - I mentioned seeing it finished and am not surprised at how beautiful it is. The light / dark contrast is striking. Wow!!!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2018, 11:56:44 pm »
Thanks fellas.
BJ...Thanks a bunch.
Rich....Robin has got a lot better camera than me that's for sure.I did take the black background pics at night of the tips and handle with my camera though.She is a big help taking full draw pics though.Always available to help.
Marc...Most times here if I want to check out probable red cedar here I go to the Amish sawmill.They have logs laying there for special order cuts from people for boards.They do make benches out of it too and that's when I look at the 2" cut lumber.The red cedar on my property is'nt big enough yet.
Bob...I'll be seeing you at Mo Jam.It sounds like you've got enough red cedar material to be making some bows from it.Self bows or backed bows.
barebo....I could'nt get the right kind of contrast during day time shooting so I tried that night time shooting and it showed it a lot better.I did'nt finish it right away while the colors were really nice a bright.I tried sanding it a bit to bring that back out but was afraid I might lose some poundage doing so.....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2018, 12:51:07 pm »
That's a might fine looking bow you have there.  I kike the Maple backing better than sinew, just a good contrast of colors I think.
 Did you cut the maple backing, or purchase it ?
   Steve

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2018, 04:38:35 pm »
S.C. hunter....Thanks.Actually the maple was free and rescued from a construction site that was under remodeling.They were going to throw them away.We got quite a few boards.Picked the straight grained ones out.A friend of mine and myself resawed them and ran them through his drum sander.We got quite a few.2" wide by 3/16" thick and 6' long.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 10:09:16 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed