Author Topic: Three brown hares in one evening!  (Read 11111 times)

Offline rautasarvi

Three brown hares in one evening!
« on: March 02, 2018, 05:02:07 am »
Hello bowyers!
In Finland the rabbit season just ends. About two weeks in the end of the season there were very cold weather and hunting with primitive bow was quite challenging. It was -25 dgrees of Celsius almost all the time and few nights it was even colder.
There were some nice situations but the weather really was so hard while the moon was shining and the total silence made rabbits very alert.
After a many evenings and nights I spend in the bushes the price was payed!
First I saw how one rabbit came closer and I saw that if it will move just a little bit more, I can shoot it. The place was not very good but I decided to shoot anyway. And miss it!!! Jus few sentimeters! But the rabbit did not move! It did not see or hear anything. I slowly took another arrow and got it on the string. Now the position was better and rabbit was also closer. About 15 meters. It stands right towards me while I shot. Arrow penetrates the chest and came out from the back. Beautiful shot!
Rabbit tooks a few jums and lyes down.
I went to get the rabbit and when I took it from the snow, I saw another rabbit was coming closer! It was in about 50 meters from me and all the time coming little by little towards. I went on my knees and tried to hide as down as I could. My place was now quite wide open and I hoped that the rabbit will go to the bushes about 20 meters from me, so the bushes will give me even a little hide. And it went there. It was impossible to shoot but I saw the rabbit very clearly. I moved very quietly so that Iīll get a good shooting position. I went to lie on my back and push my upper body a little bit so that I can shoot.
Suddenly the rabbit too couple jums and was now in about 17 meters. My position was quite good, but it was very hard to keep this position, so I just needed to trust my skills and shoot. And I shot. Very clear hit on the lungs!
"Holy shit!! Two rabbits in very little time!" I was thinking.
Rabbit runs about 50 meters and the blood track was very clear. It was easy to find the rabbit.
I decided to took those rabbits to my car and skin them immediately. Rabbits skin gets out very easily when the body is still warm. You dont need even a knife.
I watched how the moon was creating light and I got a bit warmer because I had walked a while and I decided to try one more!
I found a good place from the bushes near one rabbit track and I stayed there.
After about one hour I saw how rabbit was coming this track. It was far away, about 100 meters, but it was clearly using this track which goes very close from me. I waited quietly and tried to stay absolutely still.
There it comes, I thought while the rabbit was in about 30 meters.
Finally it was in 20 meters and I rised my bow. I waited it to move a bit more, and I think the distance was about 11 meters, while I shot. Arrow went through the lungs and rabbit did not move more than couple of meters.
Three rabbits with primitive bow! I was happy and very thankfull!!
These brown hares (European rabbits) in these areas are very alert all the time. This area is very quiet and there lives barely no people. These same rabbits are totally different in cities and places where are a lot of people. They can come to the yard and does not afraid of people almost at all.
Here these brown hares keeps usually at least 200 meters distance to people and are actually quite hard to shot with bow.
This was amazing end for the rabbit season! I got one rabbit earlier in this season, so all together there were four.
Usually I got 4-8 rabbits /season with bow, so this was not very good season for me, but this ending really make it unforgettable!
I had a bow making course for wilderness guides just about week before and I made one bow as an example. It felt so nice that I decided to go hutn with it. So this is quite nice firs catch for this bow. Bow is redoak and even itīs quite heavy, itīs very smooth and easy to handle. There is 70 pounds on it and in this kind of very cold weather it gets always few extra pounds.

Offline ksnow

Re: Three brown hares in one evening!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 07:07:19 am »
Great story, and great shooting, Are the European hares you are hunting bigger than North American cottontails? I remember seeing rabbits in the Netherlands and Poland that struck me as huge.

Kyle

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 07:54:22 am »
Those look giant! Congrats! I still haven’t gotten a bunny with my bow, never hunted em at night though.. maybe I should try
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline rautasarvi

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 08:44:54 am »
There are two rabbit species in Finland; brown hare, also named as european hare (Lepus europaeus) and mountain hare (Lepus timidus).

Mountain hare is original Finnish animal and itīs smaller, weights usually about 4kg. It has a large "snowshoe" and can run in very soft snow without problems. Mountain hare is pure white in winter and it lives in forests. In summertime it turns to brown, but itīs tail stays always white. Mountain hares Finnish name is "metsäjänis"(straight translate:forest hare)

European hare has come to Finland in early 1900. It has come here naturally and also it has been brought here. European hares usually lives near fields and also they are common in gardens. Itīs Finnish name is "rusakko"(name has no actually meaning that can be translated, but the name might come from the word "ryssä" which is a nickname for russians. And the name have come to use, because european hare has come to Finland from russia). Europen hare is the fastest land mammal in Finland. It runs over 60km/h and itīs speeding is totally amazing. It is on itīs fastest speed almost immediately.
European rabbit is clearly bigger than mountain hare and weights 3-8kg. My own record is 8,2kg! Thatīs one big rabbit!

Also in Finland there are some population of coneys. In about 1985 these populations started to grow. Those are originally pets which have got on loose. Now there are quite a lot of coneys in some cities area living in city nature. Those are a big problem in many places and there are very often free hunting offered to bowhunters! Areas where those coneys lives are in such a populated areas that bow is the best weapon to hunt those.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 09:10:47 am by rautasarvi »

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 11:47:22 am »
Congratulations on a successful hunt, and a very good story!  Those are some nice rabbits!  Bringing an 8 kg(kilo) hare home could wear you out in heavy snow!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 01:36:42 pm »
Great hunting story and fantastic end of your season for sure. Those are some huge bunnies. Hope their good eating.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 02:22:59 pm »
"Holy shit!! Two rabbits in very little time!"

Good shooting!

My hunting buddy says to never look them in the eye. If you do, they will always run just before you release.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 06:27:30 am »
Congrats, looks like some nice shots. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Strelets

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 12:45:42 pm »
Well done Rautasarvi.  I was on our club's field course here in England today, and a brown hare sat and looked at me from about 15 metres away. It would have been completely illegal for me to shoot it. It sat there for about a minute until it was alarmed by the noise of an arrow hitting a target boss, when it raced away.  The brown hares (Lepus europaeus) that we have here in Britain don't usually weigh more than 4 kilograms, you have giants in Finland.

Offline stickbowbeard

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 03:53:27 pm »
Very well done.  Great story.  Congrats on a great night of hunting!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 06:40:21 am »
Great shooting. I'd almost eat rabbits over venison.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline trail walker

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 10:12:24 am »
Holly cow! that sounds like a night to remember! I will have to try night hunting, never thought about it before. The rabbits i hunt like to stay about 60 meters or more away.