Author Topic: "Moccasin"  (Read 18120 times)

Offline burchett.donald

"Moccasin"
« on: March 03, 2018, 05:49:48 pm »
I have enough pictures saved to do a build along from stock material, not forging though...This is a knife shape my Dad designed for me called the "Moccasin" due to the blade shape imitating the moccasin head...Raw stock pictured here...
   The fiberglass templet was laid out and knife cut from 154cm which is annealed...I use a flat grind on all my blades...The blade here is rough ground 80 grit to keep heat down on a variable speed sander...
                                                                                                                                                  Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline osage outlaw

Re: "Moccasin"
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 05:58:35 pm »
I am loving all of this forge and knife work on here.  That's a cool design Don.  I'm jealous of that grinder. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 06:00:20 pm »
 I then place a "ricasso guide" on the blade to guide my file and allow me to blend the ricasso into the blade...These things are handy and will help you make an excellent cut that meets on both sides of the blade...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 06:03:13 pm »
 Clint, that is a mean machine buddy...Variable speed helps me in so many ways...It will slow to a crawl or you can put a 60 grit on to hog off some steel...
                                                                         Don

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 06:04:40 pm »
That looks like a handy little gizmo.  Is it aluminum?  I might try to make one. 

What brand is that grinder?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 06:08:25 pm »
Beautiful blade design Don,  looks to be a good skinner...
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 06:11:21 pm »
Next, I will mark the pinning holes for the drill, I use one eight brass rod to pin handles...USE LOW SPEED here or you will heat up the blade handle and sometimes fuse a drill bit...This steel is hardened by heat and then air quenched...We are still annealed here...

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 06:17:31 pm »
  Thanks DBar...

Clint, that is a Burr king grinder...And the ricasso guide is harder than a drill bit so my file cant cut into it...I have cut a lot of knives using that extremely hard tool...Your file actually slides up against it...
                                                                                                                                                 Don

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 06:26:09 pm »
Next I will sand the blade starting with 180, 220, 320, 400 and finally 600 grit...I will then tape to protect for the rest of the build...After this I heat treat the steel to 1900 degrees in a preheated kiln and then allow to cool...This is air hardened steel 154cm...I do not temper these knives but you can if you want to...I like to leave them very hard...
                                       Don
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 08:26:27 pm by burchett.donald »

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 06:36:59 pm »
    Next, it's time for brass bolsters...Look closely and you will see the bolsters under the handle, handle being used as a drill guide...Again slow speed and cut clean air tight holes for the brass rod fit up...

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 06:38:40 pm »
more...

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 06:43:04 pm »
Look'n good........
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 06:50:37 pm »
  Next, I use an electric etching machine to put my name on the blade...Then it's time to glue the brass bolsters and rods...This is where "fit" comes into play, always take time to assemble first if you can, then glue or pin...I like to do a test run...

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 06:55:51 pm »
 Glued and pinned with a hammer...

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 07:02:13 pm »
 Thanks again DBar...I'm probably going to fast here but I don't want to post to many pictures during the build and take up PA's space...
  Any questions between steps will gladly be answered folks...
                                                                                            Don