Author Topic: "Moccasin"  (Read 18117 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: "Moccasin"
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2018, 07:15:53 pm »
That is some awesome work!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2018, 07:36:09 pm »
    Time for scales!  I had some deer antler scales ground and cut in half on a ban saw then ground flat...As said earlier "fit" is important...I make sure my drill bit and platen are exactly 90 degrees here to match my bolsters...The scales were marked by laying the handle on and tracing...I cut the excess off and then sanded the ends 90 degrees...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 07:42:39 pm »
Now a test run on fit before drilling...Look closely at lines and fit to make sure everything is a go before drilling...I can always make minor adjustments here if needed...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 07:58:34 pm »
 Next, scales are clamped to the handle and double checked for fit...Again the handle is used as a drill guide...Time to drill  (A) A drill press was used here, the handle was set on a block of wood during drilling not pictured...

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 08:10:40 pm »
Time for glue up now...Center pins on handle were premeasured and rounded because this area of the handle will not be sanded...The but and bolsters will be shaped later...

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 08:11:37 pm »
more...

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2018, 08:18:40 pm »
excellent build.
love the design of that knife.
now I got tool envy that grinder is the bomb,
making 1 of those file guides is on my lit of thing to do.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2018, 08:48:14 pm »
Thanks Kevin! Glad to hear from you...

I skipped some pictures awhile back on heat treating so lets talk about that and post them up...This is 154cm air cooled steel... The blade  is wrapped in stainless foil to keep carbon build up to a minimum. I heat treated it to 1900 degrees for 15 minutes and allowed it to cool...I did not temper this build, I wanted it very hard...This was done right after the finished 600 grit blade...I apologize for the confusion but couldn't find the pictures...
                                                                       Don
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 08:56:14 pm by burchett.donald »

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2018, 08:49:46 pm »
more...

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2018, 09:04:36 pm »
OK, back to the handle...I used a 4" and a 1" 80 grit drum sander for shaping...Went with finer grit drums to achieve a smoother finish to prepare for the buffer...Hand sanding also...

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2018, 09:21:08 pm »
   Like I said earlier I skipped a lot of detail work and would gladly add anything someone would like to know about...Here is the knife buffed out and hand made case...Want to keep "the Forge" jumping  (=)
                                                                                                                   Don

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2018, 09:22:24 pm »
One more...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 09:33:36 pm by burchett.donald »

Offline bubby

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2018, 10:52:06 pm »
Saweet conclusion of that build. Came out great!
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline chamookman

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2018, 02:05:41 am »
Thanks for the time and effort You put into this post - GREATLY appreciated  :OK ! Beautiful Knife - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2018, 05:50:36 am »
  Thanks bubby...

Thanks Bob, I enjoyed it and hope it helps someone in the future...
                                                                                                      Don