Author Topic: 2018 Bow Trade-Completed  (Read 98337 times)

Offline DC

Re: 2018 Bow Trade-Sign Up
« Reply #180 on: April 13, 2018, 04:44:02 pm »
I wonder if the same kind of thing could happen with a trapped back

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2018, 04:46:52 pm »
I would imagine so, depending on the wood combination and the backing.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline M2A

« Reply #182 on: April 15, 2018, 06:48:22 am »
Nice looking bow Swampman! Tiller looks nice and even to my eye.

Hoosierf, I had to google that super glue and baking soda trick after I read what you posted. That's a pretty neat trick, I had never heard of before :)

I was looking forward to that 2 tone hickory JW. Too bad it didn't work out. Looking forward to see what you come up with next.

As for me....I have that sapling bow to about 15 inches on the tree at 50 pounds. Around 8 ounces yet to remove using the mass principle idea. Going to get the tips bending more and then try and try and do some heat corrections to it. Not convinced I can make draw length and weight on this one with out too much set. I'll get some pictures up tonight with it on the tree, before trying the corrections. Just in case, I was able to cut some bitternut hickory, I have 1 stave that, best I can tell has no knots and is a real nice piece of wood. Ill be getting that to close dimensions when I cant work on the elm. Mike     

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #183 on: April 15, 2018, 10:02:09 am »
Another two tone hickory, only this time the belly and back are hickory. I want to find out if it was the mistake I made beveling the edges over that maple belly or the hickory backing. I took another piece that was two toned ripped a backing strip off of it flipped it around and glued it on with some Perry reflex.
I may be a glutton for punishment but man this will make an interesting looking bow. Of course function and durability are priority number one but hey if ya can make it look cool in the process why not right. Ill post some pics later when I get the tip overlays filed to shape.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #184 on: April 15, 2018, 11:23:54 am »
Well guys lets try it this way, all hickory. I'm totally obsessed with getting a bow with this color combo. Tips are still wide well thin them down later. 68 inches 1 1/4 at the fades for 8 inches. 3/4 wide at the handle 1 5/8ths deep. Now to see if I can tiller it.
Not the best pics but you get the idea.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2018, 12:46:28 pm »
No pics at the moment as I’m tied up with family stuff. I laid down three courses of sinew and i have some minor tillering to do then we make her pretty-ish.  She’s gonna survive knot and all so now i just need to let it cure some, shape the handle and start shooting it. It will be interesting to see final draw weight.   Before sinew i was at 48# at 28” with an inch of set and neutral set with the recurves.  I am hoping to get 55# @ 28” as it my trade partner has a higher draw weight preference. I’m in his range but near the lower end and i want him to love the bow. The sinew will give me some room to pike it if necessary and also narrow the tips a bunch to get some speed. 

Offline M2A

« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2018, 05:45:42 pm »
Well folks, was working hard on this bow and was doin ok till I went from long string to brace  and forgot to take into account the difference. took things too far too fast. My mistake, lesson lernt. Over 2 inches of set and still 5 inches short of what I need. Learned a bunch on this new to me design. I will be back to this sometime down the road. Pictures below is where I was out. not bad but not great  )-w(

Where from here... never worked with osage but I think its time.  I think this will be most liked by my trade partner aka victim  :D  Hope to be back on track in a few days.

IMG_1635
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/GxxTBM]
IMG_1634 

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2018, 06:16:57 pm »
  Do you have an unbraced profile picture...Looks good on the tree...Right limb is upper, am I correct..
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2018, 06:23:13 pm »
Looks like a nice 5 curve from here....
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline M2A

« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2018, 06:32:08 pm »
I do. Or can get one when I get back home. Had to post and run to get to a scout meeting. And have no idea how to do it off my phone.

Offline M2A

« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2018, 08:43:07 pm »
Yes Don right limb in that picture would be top. I have to admit I need to pay better attention on the profile at the beginning to gauge set/string follow, because I always work on pieces that are not straight. After looking at a previous post on this thread there was deflex in both mid limbs so I'd have to say I gained 1 inch of set. In picture below limbs are now delexed 1.5 inches not taking into account a small bit of relex in handle area.

Still need to align the string to the center of the handle. I have kept working on this piece because I could see the potential. Just getting there I knew would be a challenge. Kind of a love hate relationship lol

IMG_1636     

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2018, 09:26:01 pm »
  Thanks for the picture, still looks like a good 5 curve to me...
                                                                                              Don

Offline M2A

« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2018, 10:15:35 pm »
Thanks Don. You have shared some real useful advice in the past. I don't take you works lightly. I'll give this one all I got and see what happens. No promises but it should be entertaining. Mike     

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #193 on: April 19, 2018, 08:09:26 pm »
Been pretty busy lately, looks like you guys have been to. Should be back to the swap bow this weekend or by Monday at the latest.
had some issues with that backing again, didn't raise a splinter but its getting fuzzy in one area I don't trust it. Going Saturday to get a backing strip from a local fellow.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #194 on: April 19, 2018, 10:22:15 pm »
You guys are ahead of me.

But, here is a beautiful peeled black mulberry sapling stave, almost 5" diameter on the butt end, hanging out with another mulberry, some elm, and plum gathere'd the same day.  A few small knots and lumps, but pretty decent stave.

And here with a little time on the chopping block.  Actually, it's now roughed out with a nice thick handle, inch thick limbs, covered in spray poly, and cranked straighter on a flat form to dry for a while.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 10:25:24 pm by Springbuck »