Author Topic: 2018 Bow Trade-Completed  (Read 95153 times)

Offline JWMALONE

Re: 2018 Bow Trade-Sign Up
« Reply #255 on: May 13, 2018, 05:36:26 am »
Well Guys I seemed to have  screwed up the last four bows, Hmmmm. The heart wood from Hickory seems to be a good bit stiffer than Sap wood.  Never fear, I got this. Ordered some bamboo, and Mr. Ballenger will sell me some more lemon wood. That's what I made my first R/D bow from and its one of my favorites. Its also about the correct weight, so dimensions should be the same. I should have all the materials by Friday.
 Don't forget Mothers Day fellows. That would be a very bad thing.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #256 on: May 13, 2018, 10:25:25 am »
 Bummer JW. I had a hickory bow separate between the heartwood and sapwood once as well. You’re probably onto the issue which is different tension strength between the sap and heart tears itself apart.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #257 on: May 15, 2018, 04:09:02 pm »
Well, I put my stave in the corner to think about for a while. One limb shows stiff with the gizmo from transition to tips. Last time I sat with it, I was just scraping off marks and real thin (.300) for where it is. Still showing stiff there. So I got to ponder what I’m gonna do with that a while. Grabbed another stave and roughed it out. Floor tillered and heating the belly. Has a hump mid limb that causes natural deflex, but I’m gonna fix that. This stave is 1.5”x66” also hackberry. Don’t know which one will be the trade bow, but it’ll be the one I’m happiest with. ( If I don’t have to start another lol)

Offline Morgan

« Reply #258 on: May 15, 2018, 08:26:52 pm »
Poor pic, just documenting progress. Heat treated belly, took out most all limb twist, and bent the limbs into reflex. I need to make a caul with a bit deeper curve this one don’t hold but about an inch and half out of the form sometimes not that.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #259 on: May 15, 2018, 11:52:56 pm »
I decided to start a second bow as I don’t like how the black locust fretted in the one spot. This one is an ERC English longbow style that is 66” nock to nock. On the long string it is pulling 50# at 23” and looks good. It’s looking like I’ll hit weight without doing more than adjusting the tiller and excercosimg it back.  So I’m gonna give it a silk backing before I brace it up. I wouldn’t bother until it’s shooting except that some heartwood is peaking through in the outer third of one limb. 

Kyle

Offline Morgan

« Reply #260 on: May 16, 2018, 12:59:30 am »
I decided to start a second bow as I don’t like how the black locust fretted in the one spot. This one is an ERC English longbow style that is 66” nock to nock. On the long string it is pulling 50# at 23” and looks good. It’s looking like I’ll hit weight without doing more than adjusting the tiller and excercosimg it back.  So I’m gonna give it a silk backing before I brace it up. I wouldn’t bother until it’s shooting except that some heartwood is peaking through in the outer third of one limb. 

Kyle
I’d like to try an erc bow; the stuff is everywhere around here. I’m chicken though.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #261 on: May 17, 2018, 01:40:07 pm »
Got my bamboo, will get the rest of my materials tomorrow then we shall see how plan e works out.

Offline timmyd

« Reply #262 on: May 18, 2018, 04:18:54 pm »
ok so I've settled on a personal favorite plus something new. I'm going with a hickory recurve. first time doing recurves so I hope you all can help me out. so right out the gate...should I recurve now or wait till after floor tiller? I plan on boiling these because I have never had much luck with dry heat on this stuff.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #263 on: May 18, 2018, 07:14:31 pm »
Put a little more time on my secondary stave. Off the caul, wound up with 1 1/2” reflex. Tillered on long string to the point that I’m almost ready to brace and haven’t lost any reflex. Hopefully it’ll stay that way. Limbs were a little thicker than I usually have them when I heat treat, so I think I’ll probably heat treat in the caul again after I get it braced and tillered out to 18” or so just to make sure I have a good heat throughout the wood..

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #264 on: May 19, 2018, 08:28:10 pm »
Got a piece of bamboo flattened, hopefully tomorrow I can splice my Lemonwood lams. I spliced some black walnut core lams and some Osage belly lams this evening. Going to splice the B walnut and lemon wood tomorrow. These two bows will be identical except for the belly and riser wood. Which ever seems better for the swap is the one I will send, the other will go to the St. Jude auction. I will take some pics also tomorrow.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #265 on: May 19, 2018, 09:26:11 pm »
Timmy,
           Boiling or steaming is a good choice...How radical of a bend do you want? Working curves or static?
                                                                                                                                                              Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline timmyd

« Reply #266 on: May 19, 2018, 10:05:54 pm »
I like the looks of the working curves. I'll use one of my glass recurves to make the form from and we will see what happens

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #267 on: May 22, 2018, 01:02:14 pm »
Looking good everyone. I've been insanely busy lately, but did get one started. It's actually one I started a long time ago. It's maple backed bamboo flooring, spliced at the handle. It's a little short on the draw length though, don't think it'll make it to 29". That bow wasn't plan A anyway. I thought I would finish it out to see if it would make it to my victims specs.

Anyway, keep up the good work fellas. Just wanted to let you all know I haven't disappeared.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #268 on: May 25, 2018, 10:31:32 am »
Back up bow is done.
73”
53# @ 29”
Red oak backed Osage
Rattlesnake skins over silk
Wisconsin whitetail tip overlays on teak
Coyote handle overlay

I took a few more scrapes mid limb on the top after the f/d pic was take but still at 53#.

Now back to birch

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #269 on: May 25, 2018, 01:26:11 pm »
  hoosierf,
                That back up bow should be front row...Excellent work...
                                                                                                    Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;