Author Topic: 2018 Bow Trade-Completed  (Read 95459 times)

Offline paulsemp

Re: 2018 Bow Trade-Sign Up
« Reply #315 on: June 30, 2018, 08:12:12 pm »
Well folks, here’s a fd pic of the bow that will not be shipped to my victim. Shot about 50 times. Handle is still a big chunk of wood. Shocky as hell, but the tips are still fat. Problem comes from a ton of set. Not sure where I went wrong, but I did. I reckon I could flip the tips forward of the handle, but this isn’t my best attempt at a bow and I won’t be sending it. I’ve got another stave getting the bark peeled right now.

Top fade looks stiff. That may be your shock problem

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #316 on: June 30, 2018, 08:28:55 pm »
I finally got the PRK lasering in my eyes Thursday. So I was told no dusty or dirty environments for a week, so the outer coating of the cornea can heal back. Not the most pleasant experience, but necessary.  Then I’ll be back to finishing out my trade bow. I’ll do a bunch of shooting the the ERC and resand it down and try to remove a few more rasping marks. I may even end up starting another bow before I ship. Who knows, there’s still time to play around with a few.

Kyle

Offline Morgan

« Reply #317 on: June 30, 2018, 08:41:59 pm »
That looks outstanding mike. Paul, I think that top fade being stiff is camera angle. There is actually some wonk there that causes a natural set back and that fade is bending more than anywhere else if you run a block down it. Mike, I’m not very good at tillering reflexed staves. Ive only kept reflex in a couple and a couple wound up flat. This is the only bow that I’ve had a lot of set on and I think your assessment is right, I think I had my inner limbs young too much work too soon. I lost my reflex bracing the bow. Had a little set tillering, but not bad. After shooting it set badly.. I’ll probably make this a bowfishing bow at some point. No way i’ll Send it out. Ive got a lot more staves and I’ve got a gob of ipe, I may order some boo and do a BBI bow also. I’ll come up with something satisfactory before the deadline though for sure.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #318 on: July 06, 2018, 10:27:11 am »
Alright everyone, we are about 3 months away from the shipping deadline.  I hope everyone is well on their way with their projects.

I would ask that if anyone is having difficulties or issues that may keep them from completing a bow, please get in touch with me sooner rather than later.  If everything is on track, then post some pictures. We all love to see the progress. 

Offline Morgan

« Reply #319 on: July 06, 2018, 12:58:45 pm »
I will be shipped before deadline. Running in to issues, but that’s the way it is sometimes, Have several backup plans.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #320 on: July 06, 2018, 02:02:15 pm »
Glad to hear that Morgan.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #321 on: July 06, 2018, 02:30:59 pm »
I’m not totally happy sending out these first two I built. So I’ll be starting a third that I hope will meet my standards. The first fretted in one spot due to overdrawing it for its width and it’s earful doggy for its weight. The ERC longbow has some cosmetic flaws that if removed would probably drop the weight enough to be under specs and what I’m happy sending. I tried using preroughes out stuff I’ve had laying around for a couple years. I brought life to them, but not in the ways I wanted. So on this one I’ll start fresh and I’ll start it when I get back home from mojam. I’m thinking black locust eastern woodland style.

Kyle

Offline Swampman

« Reply #322 on: July 07, 2018, 07:11:19 am »
Eastern woodlands black locust sounds great Kyle.  I am sure that with the speed you build bows you will have that knocked out in a weekend.  I hope you have a great time at mojam

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #323 on: July 08, 2018, 09:02:18 am »
I’m ready to ship. Just need to get my photos up, get a final draw weight and sign the bow. Osage backed with linen and snakesskin and whitetail antler overlays. I’ll try to my pics up today.

Offline stickbowbeard

« Reply #324 on: July 09, 2018, 12:11:10 pm »
I've been moving slow so far, but I was able to put some work in on it while it was raining all day on Independence day.  Got a great floor tiller, and cut some nocks.  With another couple of hours in the shop, I should be flinging some arrows.  I still plan on finishing on time, and have a couple of other backup options if this one doesn't work out.  Sometime in the next couple of days I'll take a picture on the tillering tree, and maybe ask for a little help from those of you with more experienced tillering eyes.

Offline M2A

« Reply #325 on: July 26, 2018, 08:17:28 pm »
Hey folks! Spent the last few nights working on the handle for my bow. My plan all along kinda went out the window when I was laying it out. What I thought would look good didn't.  The bad news is I now have about 10 ft of dog bane cordage that will not on this bow. The good news is it turned out better than I could have ever hoped and I now have the cordage to use another time :)

Handle is wrapped in cherry bark. I processed a little more dog bane but instead of twisting it up I kept it flat and wrapped the ends of the bark that way. I also used a few small pieces that I dyed with a red and black mixture. I tried to hide the seam of the bark at a corner then filed smooth. The close up photo shows the seam but its pretty hard to see. Gonna have to do this kind of handle again on another bow, think there is some more on the tree I got this from.

A true oil finish and some writing and mine will be ready to go. Will post a bunch of pictures  a little closer to deadline summarizing everything. This has been a fun build. Cant wait to see what everyone else is up to.  (-P Mike

IMG_1977 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

IMG_1978 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

IMG_1979 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

IMG_1980 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #326 on: July 27, 2018, 06:28:18 am »
  Nice addition Mike...I like that handle and the skins make it a jewel...Great work bud...There is one lucky guy somewhere...

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline M2A

« Reply #327 on: July 29, 2018, 08:06:32 pm »
Thanks Don. Going to do the same handle for a bow that I had almost finished before the swap started. I was very happy with how it turned out on that osage bow. Mike

Offline Morgan

« Reply #328 on: July 29, 2018, 11:38:03 pm »
Fantastic work Mike. Whoever receives it will be lucky.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #329 on: July 29, 2018, 11:58:59 pm »
I have a couple staves peeled and ready to work that I will go to now. I worked on the previous bow more off and on over the last 4 days. Flipped the tips and heated just a bit of reflex back in. Overcame a lot of set, but it is a dog. Low string tension, slow, and just pretty disappointing all around. Shoulda just moved on and not wasted anymore time, but I’m hard headed. I’ll see what the next one brings.