Author Topic: 2018 Bow Trade-Completed  (Read 95456 times)

Offline hoosierf

Re: 2018 Bow Trade-Sign Up
« Reply #390 on: August 31, 2018, 09:39:51 am »
You’re too hard on yourself. Your bows are cool. I put lipstick on my pigs once in a while just to hide all of the imperfections.  I like ‘em plain and rugged. My favorite bow is a 44# Osage with no tip overlays, a pleather wrap from an old piece of furniture, a 60# fishing line braided 12 strand string, and a birch branch rest; no backing  and just Johnson wax finish. Tool marks and all. I’ve been shooting it more than any other bow for the last 7 years.  I’d never part with it.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #391 on: August 31, 2018, 10:24:31 pm »
Hoosierf, my thoughts exactly. I don't make factory lookin' bows but functional ones! I like the more primitive side, not making it with a stone flake but at least primitive looking. Don't get me wrong I like a nice bow when I see one. Cheers- Brendan

Offline M2A

« Reply #392 on: September 01, 2018, 05:48:20 am »
Agreed. A little character goes a long way for me as well. Mike

Offline Morgan

« Reply #393 on: September 01, 2018, 08:44:35 am »
Guys, I appreciate the re-assurance. My hat is off to all of you that can make a functioning bow in to a work of art.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #394 on: September 01, 2018, 09:01:58 am »
I need some advice. The piece that I’m working on right now has a hump mid limb that causes deflex and has some reflex toward the tip that almost negates it. I feel like it may lose the reflex when shooting in and result in a undesirable profile. There is a similar problem on the other limb, but it is a pretty sharp hump that corrects itself quickly rather than a sweep. I think I can put a block under this bump and get it straightened out when I’m heat treating the last time.
I have a finished bow that shared a split edge with this stave that has the same issue and I did nothing, but it is not as pronounced in that bow.
So, should I try to straighten it out when heat treating, or steam it out, then toast belly later? What would be the safest option?

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #395 on: September 01, 2018, 01:54:39 pm »
Tell you what I’d do and that don’t make it anywhere near right but here goes. I’d soak a wad of rags or even paper towels, wrap them around that hump plus 1.5” on both sides, and then wrap that with tin foil. Put a 1 1/2” block under the hump and clamps on both sides. Heat the wrap belly and sides  till she steams for a bit then tighten your clamps. Do the same to the exact spot on the other limb but use 3/4” or 1” block to create the same profile there. You might not even need to do the other side but you’ll be able to tell. Let the clamps sit overnight.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #396 on: September 01, 2018, 04:37:17 pm »
Thanks Hoosier. I’ll give that a go. Now, I want to hit the belly with another heat treat as the limbs are a lot thinner than they were the first round and I want to make sure the belly is tempered. If I steam in the correction will it return to original profile from the heat when I temper it?

Offline DC

« Reply #397 on: September 01, 2018, 06:57:50 pm »
If I have to make more than one correction I use a caul for all of them. They will try to undo and not consistently. One time you'll get away with it and the next you won't. Even using a caul can be tricky. I find sideways bends are the worst for coming back to haunt you.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #398 on: September 02, 2018, 09:46:20 am »
I would heat temper with it still clamped in the same position. I think that’ll give you your best shot at keeping it. You won’t keep all of it but the goal is to get the profiles the same, more or less, on each limb.  Don’t go crazy with too much heat temper in that spot. Temper it the same all along the limbs.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #399 on: September 02, 2018, 11:22:39 am »
Thank you for the advice guys. I’ll get to it in a little bit

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #400 on: September 04, 2018, 05:59:36 am »
Alright everyone, we are down to a little over a month left.  I know many of you have bows ready to go but I would ask NOT to ship yet.  I have one member of the trade that has not responded back to me and I think we may need to make an adjustment of two.  I will work to sort that out while the rest of you keep building these great bows!

Keep up the great work wveryone.

Offline M2A

« Reply #401 on: September 04, 2018, 06:49:46 am »
Thanks Swampman. will sit tight till you say go.

Never mailed anything like this before. I've read some posts in old trades so have an idea on how to ship but any tips would be much appreciated. I assume schedule 40 pvc 3-4" should work? Insured? Anything else? No advice is too obvious :). Thanks, Mike

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #402 on: September 04, 2018, 08:31:12 am »
Marking as a wall hanger, or art. And as a gift. Keep the value low.  Especially if it's coming north of the border. Pesky taxes. Cheers- Brendan

Offline Morgan

« Reply #403 on: September 04, 2018, 01:21:48 pm »
Ok, did my last heat corrections, and last heat treat of the belly. Re-worked the tiller and shot it 36 times. Right now it is a pound over high end of target weight, still have to put overlays on as it has no nocks and sand it out, and re-check tiller.  At this point it has no string follow, hopefully that won’t change after shooting in bottom limb 8-10” from tip has a wonkey spot that looks off on the tiller but nature put it there. Total length is 60”.
FD pic is a bit quartered away but I think you can make the tiller out ok.
Y’all let me know if you see something I don’t.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #404 on: September 04, 2018, 02:50:39 pm »
Beauty - we’ll done.  Not a hint of set on that bad boy. Hackberry?