Author Topic: 2018 Bow Trade-Completed  (Read 95429 times)

Offline JWMALONE

Re: 2018 Bow Trade-Sign Up
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2018, 12:43:17 pm »
Looks like were all set then fellows.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline stickbowbeard

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2018, 01:36:42 pm »
I just saw this.  Am I too late to get in on it?

RH, 40-50# @ 29"

Thanks,
Eric

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2018, 07:15:51 pm »
I added tattoo Dave and stickbowbeard. 

Looks like a good group.  I will do the drawings tomorrow and get pms out to all of you.  I will wait until tomorrow in case we have any more last minute sign ups. 

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2018, 08:54:49 am »
I got a name fellows.
 I joined PA because there is no glass or training wheels on any of the bows here. With that being said, good staves are hard to come by, does any one have a moral objection to composite wood bows? Boo backed, All wood Trilams that sort of thing. They've been around a long time depending on the region and culture.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2018, 09:01:12 am »
JW,

Glue up bows are fine as long as it is natural materials used as you said.  Boo, wood, sinew, rawhide, etc.  They have been done in other trades. 

Mike

Offline Swampman

« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2018, 09:10:55 am »
Everyone should have a PM with their information needed to start building. Please make sure and post your progress.

As I said before, I will be building a reserve bow but am not participating in the trade. My reserve bow will be used to ensure that if anything happens along the way, there will be a bow for everyone. If anyone else finishes Their main build and wants to build another reserve, you are welcome to do so.  If We end up with a bunch of reserve bows, we will figure out a way to use them.  Maybe a drawing or something. 

Lets get started.  :BB

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2018, 10:59:28 am »
Got my victim in my sights. I’m watching you and developing an intuition for your tastes. It’s on like donkey Kong as they say.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2018, 11:36:10 am »
Ok Guys, ive only made one stave bow so I'm going with something I have more experience with. Bamboo back, red elm core and ipe for the belly.I had three pieces of this boo and it works really great, cant remember the species. The red elm billiits were givin to me by a friend, i will splice those for the core. The ipe was a piece i sawed off of a thicker piece, its plenty thick for the belly. Just need to find the perfect riser material, i think i can find some red elm.  Also i use tight bond on my bows but this is going to some one else so i ordered some unibond, which was recomended by a very respected bowyer who builds lots of these type bows.
 This will be a mild R/d. About an inch wide or so, i can get 66 length wise. Need to stalk some older post and see if this guy is a hunter, in wich case ill shortin it up some.
 Do any of you guys plan on hunting with your swap bow?

Offline stickbowbeard

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2018, 11:55:56 am »
I totally intend to use the bow I receive to put some meat on the table.  I think that's the best compliment a bowyer can receive is to see their work of art used in the pursuit of wild game.

I haven't yet decided how to proceed, but I will make the decision this weekend, and start posting my progress.  I have made some Boo-backed bows in the past that I really like, and I've really been intrigued with trying a bit of a laminated bow lately, so that's a possibility.  I love carving a stave though, so I may go that direction.  I have access to a couple of good elm staves, and some pecan staves.  I reckon I just need to cyber-stalk a little to help me make that decision.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2018, 12:02:07 pm »
Cyber stalking is cool, and legal in this case. I just found the info I needed. This fellow has a very similar mentality and appreciation for primitive bows that I do. So I'm going to make this bow with a slightly different design and start to look for some different material so that I can make what I think the guy would get more enjoyment from. If I cant find it this bow should still work well.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2018, 12:24:36 pm »
A laminated bow is fine with me. I'll be happy with whatever I get. I hope my victim is down with a native american style bendy handle bow. Probably white ash, I have more white ash than I can use.

This should be a fun trade this year. I'm looking forward to it!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2018, 12:30:56 pm »
I'm not picky either Dave, I really like the Native American style bows myself.  Like I said before, if It will feed me that's all that matters.

Offline stickbowbeard

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2018, 12:38:59 pm »
What I'm really looking forward to here is being able to hold someone else's handywork in my hands, and experience shooting a different style so I can learn from it.  I'm also looking forward to some feedback on my own work as well.  I see this as an awesome learning opportunity.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2018, 01:30:26 pm »
Looks like a good start to the trade. As for the reserve bow, I am working on an Eastern Woodland bendy handle bow made from black locust. No pictures yet but I just roughed it out and started tillerring it.  If all goes well, my niece will be painting the back for me in a design I found in a book about NA bows.  I suck at painting but my niece is very talented.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2018, 03:01:38 pm »
Sounds great guys! I’m a hunter myself and will probably hunt with it myself. Though I have no problem hunting with longer bows. Last year I hunted with a 74” tip to tip long bow and had no problems using it. And any style of bow is good with me. I’m always open to new style, woods andnlayouts of bows. And I do t have any laminate bows of any sort in my collection yet.
I’m not sure what I’ll do yet. I have some really gnarly, lumpy, furrowed, muscled, boob knotted (they are straight though) hickory billets I’ve been wanting to use. And I’ve been wanting to do a takedown for a while. I may do that. But which style of take down sleeve would I like to do. The metal tubes or an Fglass style sleeve, unless there are other types you all can think of.

Kyle