Author Topic: 2018 Bow Trade-Completed  (Read 95475 times)

Offline timmyd

Re: 2018 Bow Trade-Sign Up
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2018, 03:39:28 pm »
I have to add that i'm up for anything as well. if I were to give a little insight to myself, i'm a hunter first, target shooter second. I'm really into native American lore and have plans to make some indian replicas some day. I also have a couple D/R BBOs that I started but didn't turn out that good but I would love to have one. I also have been gathering sinew from my deer to attempt a sinew backed recurve. That being said, just build me a bow that your comfortable building :BB (SH) I'll be happy with anything.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2018, 04:19:59 pm »
I’m really excited about this. I’m happy with anything as well. I would be most happy to receive what the person considers their style bow. Whatever they typically make for themselves to suit themselves. I think it will be awesome to hold and shoot someone else’s work. On the other hand, I’m nervous as a cat about sending my victim my work, and will apologize in advance on my finishing abilities lol.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2018, 04:24:58 pm »
Morgan, I've seen at least one of your bows, they are awesome just the way  they are.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline M2A

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2018, 04:48:19 pm »
And so it begins... :BB One of the most impressive aspects for me is seeing what they can do with a piece(s) of wood. When it comes to primitive bows I have only ever shot what I have made, but I see all kinds of different designs here and think dang I need to try that some time. +1 to what Stickbowbeard said.
I have not archery hunted for some 15 years, between urban spral, work and kids that has slowed me down. However, I will be going out this fall. and it'd be real cool to use a bow from this to hunt with. when I started making bows one of my goals was to get good enough to make a bow and then good enough to hunt with it. Its been a long term goal of mine, and looks like this will be the year :)   

I need to do some background research now. Hope to post a picture of the staves in my shop tonight. It all depends on the direction I go which one ill use.

Cheers                   

Offline M2A

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2018, 09:52:15 pm »
Not much to this point. But did want to a few photos up before the weekend.

IMG_1564 

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HgZE6f]
IMG_1565 

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FKx1Pv]
IMG_1566  [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/158435722@N02/

I have 2 staves in picture, both black locust. The one on the left will be what I will be working on. Its one of the first staves I ever split and has been buried in the corner of my shop for the last 2 years. I forgot it was there until I was cleaning up this past weekend. 

Seems to be nice and straight, no twist and rings are thicker than I usually have had.

It does have 2 knots, 1 I think I can leave in a stiff handle, the smaller one I will need to work with. Also there is a larger indent in the growth rings about 3/4" wide x maybe 2" long. Not sure what that would be from and no signs of any knots that would have caused it. Need to remove another ring where it is and seems the deeper I go the smaller it gets. Almost like it was growing into something. Its about 1/8" deep right now, maybe a little deeper.  It does have me a bit concerned but would make for some nice character. Until I get the ring I want chased I don't want to think too much about design, however this area may have a lot of influence on what I do.

The stave on the right I cleaned up about a month ago. It was cut last year. Also black locust. I will be roughing it out just so it can dry faster, incase that indent in my primary stave turns into something ugly. This one would make a good bend  in the handle bow.

Have some family obligations to take care of in the next few days but hope to at least follow along on my phone even if I cant log in.
Thanks Mike             

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 07:36:06 am by M2A »

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2018, 07:19:38 am »
Well I changed my mind, gonna go with a hickory backing. My boo might be wide enough but not gonna chance it, if I go with hickory I can get more width to make sure I hit weight. 1 3/8ths with a narrowed handle, also I have a piece of hickory for the riser.
I painted houses for 20 years, I know its a mental hang up on my part but I cant put 4 different colored woods in one bow, it would drive me nuts. I would buy one, but cant make one. So I will use hickory back, b walnut core, ipe belly and hickory for the riser. That's more symmetrical. And it should make a  nice looking bow.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2018, 09:10:33 pm »
Well guys, I got my backing thinned down to size and cut the profile, got a w splice in the core billets, and roughed out the profile on the belly wood. Also got the form set up. I will glue it up tomorrow. So far so good.

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2018, 10:33:49 pm »
Sorry it looks like i read this one to late? I would of loved to do it. If there isnt enough peeps i will do it if it isnt to late. I have a bunch of osage staves i cut in Sep. 2017 and i started to reduce some so they will be ready to work in a couple months. Let me know if someone backs out or there isnt enough people to match up

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2018, 06:40:04 am »
Sorry it looks like i read this one to late? I would of loved to do it. If there isnt enough peeps i will do it if it isnt to late. I have a bunch of osage staves i cut in Sep. 2017 and i started to reduce some so they will be ready to work in a couple months. Let me know if someone backs out or there isnt enough people to match up

Ntvbowyer1969, the drawing is already done but if you want to participate by building a reserve bow and post picture as you build, you certainly could.  Then as the trade progresses and someone ends up with an issue, you could slide into a spot or if everything goes well, you can trade with me.  I am building a reserve bow too.  If this sounds ok with you, send me a pm with all of your info. 

Offline Swampman

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2018, 06:41:07 am »
JW, looks like you are making a lot of progress right now.  I am excited to see the result. 

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2018, 09:32:30 am »
Well guys my mentor gave me his recipe for mixing unibond by weight. However I had to modify my grain scale to weigh liquid. So if whoever gets this bow is an ole country boy he will be pleased to know that a coat hanger, duct tape and TWO red solo cups were instrumental in the making of his bow. That's countrified right thar fellows.  I only had black duct tape sorry.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2018, 01:18:50 pm »
Well she's glued guys, don't worry about the clamps not being staggered like most folks do. Its a good idea but if your pressure strip wont allow it you can compensate, I've been gluing stuff up for 30 years and have had no issues in the last 29.75 years. Id put a smiley face in here but still haven't figured that out yet.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2018, 04:03:22 pm »
Looking real nice JW. 

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2018, 04:38:58 pm »
Looking real nice JW.
This stuff was the easy part. Tillering one of these things is a different story.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2018, 04:43:30 pm »
Question, when I measure my draw its from the back of the handle to my anchor point which is 26.25 inches, I'm 5 foot 11.5 bare footed, so that's the way I tiller it. Do you guys measure that way? Sure are a bunch of long armed fellows on here.