Author Topic: 2018 Bow Trade-Completed  (Read 95902 times)

Offline TorstenT

Re: 2018 Bow Trade-Sign Up
« Reply #300 on: June 24, 2018, 11:00:47 pm »
That‘s a cool bow, Mike! I like the profiles, the snakey limbs and (especially) the German flag tips!  ;D

Greetz from Berlin, Germany

Torsten

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #301 on: June 25, 2018, 03:01:33 pm »
 Mike,
         Looks awesome in all profiles...Love the character...The unstrung profile says it all, you done a great job tillering...Can't wait to see it with the Cherry bark handle
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #302 on: June 25, 2018, 04:52:36 pm »
That’s looking great! And held a good profile too.
I shot the cedar elb inside at 10 yards for a couple dozen shots after a little tiller tweak. I short drew it by 2”, because cedar and shooting indoors for the maiden shots. But it held up and shot well. Shock free and quiet and a decent cast considering I was shooting a 625gr arrow and drawing g 26” instead of the 28” I pulled to on the tree.
I went ahead and rubbed in a coat of linseed oil and noticed that I missed some rasping marks while sanding. So I may sand it again and start refinishing. Set is also negligible, as I can’t even tell it took any. It almost seems like ERC is a wood that rarely takes set, but just breaks when over stressed.

Kyle

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #303 on: June 25, 2018, 06:53:43 pm »
Hey guys, I should hve pm some body but didn't think about until I was on the plane, i dont like to announce on public media that my home is empty for a week.. Saved up for long while and went to Yellowstone national park. Id tell ya how it was but there are no words to do it justice. Back to work on the bow tommorow or the day after.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline M2A

« Reply #304 on: June 25, 2018, 09:01:02 pm »
Thanks fellas.

Morgan, looking forward to seeing that gar skin on hackberry  :) :)

TorstenT, origionaly I bought a small piece of tulip wood to try as footing on arrow shafts and never got around to it. Thought of the combination as soon as I starting working on this stave. Glad you like! 

Don, did a small test piece of that bark with one coat of true oil tonight. Think its going to look real nice. want to test some other finishes still . Sizing and glue up may be a different story lol

Kyle I'm thinking that ERC is going to look sweet all finished up. Cant wait to see.

Safe travels JW. Hope I can get out that way some day.

Mike 

Offline Morgan

« Reply #305 on: June 26, 2018, 12:17:03 am »
Thanks fellas.

Morgan, looking forward to seeing that gar skin on hackberry  :) :)

TorstenT, origionaly I bought a small piece of tulip wood to try as footing on arrow shafts and never got around to it. Thought of the combination as soon as I starting working on this stave. Glad you like! 

Don, did a small test piece of that bark with one coat of true oil tonight. Think its going to look real nice. want to test some other finishes still . Sizing and glue up may be a different story lol

Kyle I'm thinking that ERC is going to look sweet all finished up. Cant wait to see.

Safe travels JW. Hope I can get out that way some day.

Mike

Mike, that’s my plan for now, might be a miserable failure though lol. First gotta get some gar big enough to play with. Me and tater are taking the kayaks up the creek in the morning to try again.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #306 on: June 26, 2018, 06:17:00 am »
  Kyle,
          Cant wait to see the ERC...That stuff makes me plain nervous...But is a killer when done right...Looking forward to the finished bow...I got my money on you buddy...
                                                                            Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Morgan

« Reply #307 on: June 26, 2018, 08:58:26 am »
  Kyle,
          Cant wait to see the ERC...That stuff makes me plain nervous...But is a killer when done right...Looking forward to the finished bow...I got my money on you buddy...
                                                                            Don

Yes, what he said. I’ve always thought ERC is a gorgeous wood, but horror stories keeps me from attempting it. I understand that even with a perfect stave, your tiller has to be perfect and low stress for it to stay together. Me and perfect don’t go together lol.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #308 on: June 29, 2018, 05:50:07 pm »
Did more tillering today. Most all of my induced reflex has pulled out and I’m back to square one. Right limb is stiff mid limb out maybe and left limb looks ok to me. 48ish lbs @ 24” right now going to heat treat one last time and maybe put some mild recurves in. Haven’t decided yet.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #309 on: June 29, 2018, 06:56:03 pm »
Morgan,
             I agree with your assessment... A few scrapes right mid limb and then pull in hand...If the right is the lower it will come around some in hand...Good work...
                                                                Don

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #310 on: June 30, 2018, 11:01:18 am »
I agree also, right limb mid limb and out needs a little attention.

So I’ve finally reached a point where I can work on something. Considering today it’s a million degree outside, seems like a perfect day to hide in my basement woodshop and work on a bow. It’s about 60 degrees down here..perfect! Starting with this white ash stave. It’s 64” long and 1-3/8” wide. My victim is asking for kinda of a long draw, compared to my short little 26” draw anyway. So will be taking this out to 30”. Of course it’ll be a bendy handle.

I’ll post a pic later today to show today’s progress.

Tattoo dave
Rockford, MI

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #311 on: June 30, 2018, 03:40:32 pm »
   Can't wait Dave, love me a bendy...

Offline Morgan

« Reply #312 on: June 30, 2018, 07:39:08 pm »
Well folks, here’s a fd pic of the bow that will not be shipped to my victim. Shot about 50 times. Handle is still a big chunk of wood. Shocky as hell, but the tips are still fat. Problem comes from a ton of set. Not sure where I went wrong, but I did. I reckon I could flip the tips forward of the handle, but this isn’t my best attempt at a bow and I won’t be sending it. I’ve got another stave getting the bark peeled right now.

Offline M2A

« Reply #313 on: June 30, 2018, 08:02:19 pm »
As for my project....Finished shooting my bow in today, 300+ shots in the last week or 2. And yeah Dave its hot as all get out here too. I could not be happier with how things turned out so far. Still has the same reflex from last post. Shot a good amount from 30 yards today, so I am confident this bow will be able to do anything its new owner will ask of it. below is a full draw pic unfortunately I forgot to not cant the bow but I think it shows things good enough.

Finished processing more than enough dogbane for what I want to try. I was going to dye it but now I think I will leave most of it natural color. Not sure if I will use cherry bark in picture or another piece, but just wanted to show the color after some sanding.

I been doing my best to add updates each week. Things are going to get real busy for me for a few weeks tho, I can see it coming. Just got my last piece I need for this bow today. So...going to work on it when I can and take my time to finish it up as good as I can. Next pics from me will not be for a few weeks but then it should be complete. Thanks Mike

IMG_1919 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

IMG_1920 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

Offline M2A

« Reply #314 on: June 30, 2018, 08:11:38 pm »
Morgan, Maybe you could try and heat the belly back to some reflex or flat even. Then try and get some more bend out of you outer limbs. Get them outer limbs working more before you pull to full draw.  That may help with shock and set imo. Just some thoughts. Mike