Author Topic: 2018 Bow Trade-Completed  (Read 96075 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: 2018 Bow Trade-Sign Up
« Reply #360 on: August 19, 2018, 11:24:20 pm »
Beautiful bows guys!
I’ve finally started to tiller on that black locust recurve. Here is the first flex on the long string. I have a LONG way to go. It’s pulling weight at about 10”, if that. And barely flexing the limbs to get there. It’s starting with 2.5” reflex at the nocks. ~3” at the tips. I bent the hooks with a combo of steam to get the heat deep and dry heat to bump the heat up a smidge to make it bend easier, then deflected the fades with dry heat to bring the tips to about 1” reflex then reflexes midlimb to bring them back to where they started. I sort of feel like I wasted time with the whole deflex/reflex thing, but it’s fun to do and looks neat. So this bow is starting as a mild deflex/reflex with hooks. I’m going to long string it back to about 20” then brace it and see where it sits. Hopefully be morning.

Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #361 on: August 20, 2018, 02:13:31 am »
I got it pulled back to 24” with a brace of 5.5”. At the moment there is about 1” set, so still retains about 1.5” reflex. I went ahead and glued on some walnut overlays. I’m the morning when I get in I’m going to reheat treat, as I only gave it enough heat to hold the reflex while shaping it out. I gave a few shots at about 20” and it felt quick. Still some more draw length to go and potentially more stiff after a good heat treat.

I know with straight limb bows there is a negligible difference in draw weight between long string and brace. But when I braved the recurve I could draw it much further for the same weight. About 5” further. Any idea why unless the string angle with the recurves makes that big of difference.

Kyle

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #362 on: August 20, 2018, 09:26:23 am »
   Nice looking bend Kyle...Looking good
                                                                Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline stickbowbeard

« Reply #363 on: August 20, 2018, 11:41:37 am »
Good looking bows fellas.

I've been on vacation, and getting back into the swing of things here at work, so haven't done much in the last few weeks.  I'm hoping to get some time in the shop this week.  I'm getting close to bracing the bow for the first time.  I'll post a picture when I get a chance to work on it this week.  This one is a bit trickier to tiller than bows I've done in the past, so I'm taking it slow, but I like how things are looking so far. 

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #364 on: August 20, 2018, 02:01:41 pm »
Freshly heat treated and attempted to remove a bit of twist that was in one limb. It didn’t have enough to cause any issues, but why not try to correct it while I’ve got the wood hot.

Kyle

Offline Morgan

« Reply #365 on: August 20, 2018, 08:44:25 pm »
Mike, your bow is amazing. I am humbled. Kyle your bow is coming along beautifully.

Plugged away on my trade bow some more this evening. Lifted some splinters fairly deep  on the belly when I steamed out some twist and deflex. Took that defect out and pretty sure I have plenty of limb thickness left. I won’t post pictures till tillering is almost done, do not want to bog the thread down with more failed attempts...

Offline M2A

« Reply #366 on: August 21, 2018, 07:45:22 am »
Thanks fellas.  :)
Kyle, yours looks to be turning out very nice. Those walnut overlays are going to look great on that bl.

Looking forward to seeing pics Morgan and Stickbowbeard. you know...one of the most interesting aspects I find in all of this is everyone has a different take on things. each bow is different. Every piece of wood has its own challenges. So many different possibilities. Its interesting to see how others overcome some of those challenges. If building bows was do steps 1-10 and it will be perfect every time I would have been 1 and done. At the rate im going I ill be at this for a very long time. I suppose most here think the same. Mike           

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #367 on: August 22, 2018, 02:35:22 pm »
Mike now that’s how you make Osage bow. Well done. That’s just Awesome!

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #368 on: August 24, 2018, 04:53:49 pm »
I got the tips shaped out and everything lined up well enough to make the happy. It’s been tillered out to few inches shy of full draw, then I’ll shoot it in. This piece of black locust was a bit more brittle than I’m used to working so I have some tear outs on the back that are just deep enough to not sand out but not enough to be overly concerned about. I went ahead and spread some super glue in them. But am thinking about adding a silk backing as an assist or to help keep them from splintering in the future. I forgot to snap Amy pictures of them before I left te house. But what do you all think?

Kyle

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #369 on: August 24, 2018, 07:26:13 pm »
That looks killer Kyle. Really like them hooks. Cheers- Brendan

Offline M2A

« Reply #370 on: August 24, 2018, 11:10:40 pm »
That's lookin real good Kyle. Im with Brendan on them hooks. Mike

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #371 on: August 25, 2018, 07:30:23 am »
Man i wish i could bend hooks like.  Very cool.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #372 on: August 25, 2018, 11:06:13 am »
I am going to jump on the hook bandwagon.  Those books look really good.  Can't wait to see this one finished up.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #373 on: August 25, 2018, 06:51:14 pm »
Great looking recurve! I love it!

So, I have 2 in the works. I was talking with someone a couple weeks ago about a bow made from bamboo flooring. I started one a long time ago, but never finished it. I mentioned it in an earlier post, but didn’t think it would make it back to 28”. I thought I would revisit that and sure enough it’s now 50# at 28”. I had actually started to do finish work back when it was at 26”. So it’s bamboo flooring backed with more bamboo flooring lams, and some birch bark backing. Just thought I would post this and get some thoughts. Would anyone be interested in an all bamboo flooring bow. It shoots great! I had to splice at the handle, hence the stiff handle, which is usually not my thing. It’s 62” inches long with simple pin nocks. I’m thinking about adding some tip overlays. Let me know what you all think.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #374 on: August 25, 2018, 08:51:44 pm »
Dave, you made that bamboo flooring look real good. That bend looks great.  Very nice work.