Author Topic: handle glue up issue?  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Morgan

Re: handle glue up issue?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 11:11:08 pm »
This quote is off of a different site

“ Some glues deform over time and appear to squeeze out of the joint a little, leaving a discernable ridge at the glue line. This is called "creep." I used Tightbond III to laminate my bench top three years ago, and I can now feel a tiny raised ridge along each glue joint, I.E., creep.”

Read another place that it sometimes happens on highly stressed joints.

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 12:47:43 am »
  64" is about the longest bow that I use tightbond on the handle for. Smooth on is stronger, it looks like you did everything right. How long is your bow? Is your ipe 3/4 thick at the handle?

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 05:18:25 am »
It's creep  TB is not a 'hard" glue so you'll always see that on edges that are exposed to expansion/contraction and shear stress from bending.

Are other bows this same mixture of materials?

In the previous post DWS saif he typically used a longer riser and fade area.  That will always help in this situation.  Why not give yourself some peace of mind and be totally happy with the bow rather than fretting and checking the glue joint every time?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:35:22 am by PatM »

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 08:02:12 am »
Pat M, you are correct just never had that issue, it scared me. I can live with it as long as it shoots good.  This is the first time ive use either of these materials, ill know next time.
   Thanks Guys.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 10:31:07 pm »
JW, sort of an aside, but I do love me a power-lam for bows like this.

One problem with making stacked sandwich with contrasting woods is they often have contrasting qualities.  Like, some just sand so easily you can develop a dip or bump at the fades where they join.  Some may expand with humidity like Pearl mentioned.  Some want to cup once water based glue touches them, then shrink back when dry (goncalo alves does this so bad I started dunking the whole lam in water).  All kinds of things. 

Anyway, it's very likely creep or a shift like PatM says from the stack bending or flexing, etc. the glue squeezing even more.  If you have confidence in your glue lines, don't worry about it.