Author Topic: Hafting broad heads & stone points  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Hafting broad heads & stone points
« on: March 09, 2018, 03:00:26 pm »
What or is there a best way to orient a broad head or stone point?  Parallel to the string or the cock feather, I.e. 90 degrees to the bow & string?  I looked for a thread, but didn't come across one!  Thanks,   Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Hafting broad heads & stone points
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 03:26:30 pm »
I don't think it really matters more of a personal preference .  I like mine horizontal or 90 deg to the string.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 05:28:54 pm »
I cut a bandsaw cut for self nocks and trade and stone points so they are both cut vertical. I really don't think it matters. With commercial glue on points I mount them where they spin true so they can be any which a way.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 05:36:31 pm »
Yea....some people really get into it with the right or left helical fletch.......hell it really doesn't matter at 15 yards. :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 09:54:29 pm »
Guess I'll do a set of each and see which works best!  Not sure I'll buy a left helical clamp for the Bitzenberg, though.  If I get within 15 yards, the critter will hear me breathing! 20 and I may be all right!   Thanks!  Any body else who wants to weigh in, let's hear from you, too
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 10:24:46 pm »
My wife likes to hang some of my stone tipped arrows on the wall. So I mount mine (shoot shafts) the same as the string. Planed arrows, always same as string, across the grain is how I do mine. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 08:39:15 am »
I mount them with the blade going from 2 to 8 o'clock.  Tried the other ways and they screw up my aiming for some strange reason.  When I tried 12 to 6 o'clock my elevation is all screwed up and likewise 3 to 9 o'clock my windage gets screwed up.  I'm not sure if shooting right handed is the factor but can't do 11 to 5 or 10 to 4 o'clock mountings at all.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 09:51:26 am »
If I’m doing planed/store bought arrow shafts I cut the nock perpendicular to the grain and do the same for the stone point. Don’t wanna split a shaft! On shoot shafts I keep both cut the same just because. I used to shoot arrows that were short enough that I’d draw till the back of the broad head/ stone point would tough my finger, so that set up was needed there too.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.