Author Topic: Power lams  (Read 10869 times)

Offline DC

Power lams
« on: March 10, 2018, 10:51:09 am »
Does a power lams push a backed bow into the composite bow class?

Offline Badger

Re: Power lams
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 11:28:41 am »
Built up handle sections are allowed. If it doesn't exceed the maximum handle length I think it would be ok. I used one in a simple comp bow that I was worried might have to be registered in complex composite because of the power lam, but the power lam was short enough that it still allowed me to qualify as simple comp.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 11:39:06 am »
Thanks Steve. Do you have a link to a rules page with a little more detail than this one  file:///D:/Data/Downloads/01_USAA%20General%20Flight%20Rules%20(3).pdf

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 11:47:24 am »
  I will see if I can find the link and post it.

Offline willie

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 12:43:13 pm »
Don
the only info I have found is on this page.    http://usflightarchery.com/            the links to pdf's are red.
there are links in the pdf's  to other rules to be used in tandem, but they are broken for me.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 12:59:49 pm »
This is the only thing I can find and I don't think a power lam would fit without some imaginative rule reading ;D

iii) Wooden handle built-up blocks may be added, providing the built up portion of the
handle does not bend or additional blocks act as an additional laminate in the
working/bending areas of the bow limbs.

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 01:52:03 pm »
https://worldarchery.org/Rules     has the rules linked to in the pdf's, books 3 and 5

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 02:17:40 pm »
It looks like World Archery doesn't mention selfbows or laminates. I hate rule books, they never seem to mention what you want to know and then when you gripe about it some rules geek will point out that what you want to know is buried in an appendix somewhere. Sorry, it really doesn't matter because I will probably never need to know, I'm just curious.

Offline willie

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 03:18:40 pm »
 documentation or rules or instructions are not easy to write. sometimes the writer is too close to the subject, and assumes what is obvious to him does not need to be written down.

for example, I have been looking through the rules concerning the modern american longbow class. I can't find anything describing the permissible materiel for the bow. Should I assume that anything goes, maybe even foam filled carbon fiber? the arrows on the other hand, are specifically limited to wood, bamboo and feathers, while for the strings, "There are no restrictions on the bow string construction or type of materials used.", so even with no limitations, questions about materiel's have been addressed.

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 08:13:56 am »
  We have a much more comprehensive book on rules. For some reason I can't find it. On the American Longbows I don't believe there would be any restrictions on materials used for the bow.

Offline avcase

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 08:33:19 pm »
The rules documents on usflightarchery.com are the most comprehensive.  There is some overlap with the WorldArchery rules, but the Primitive Divisions are USA Archery only. The closest World Archery has to primitive is the English Longbow, which I feel is an odd blend of an idealized Victorian English recreational design with natural and synthetic materials.

There are no materials restrictions for the Modern American Longbow. The omission is an error that we can have corrected.

A “powerlam” or double wedge in the handle between the belly and backing layer risks reclassification as a Complex-Composite.

Alan
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:27:52 pm by avcase »

Offline avcase

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 12:46:52 pm »
documentation or rules or instructions are not easy to write. sometimes the writer is too close to the subject, and assumes what is obvious to him does not need to be written down.

I am always looking for ways to make the rules easier to follow. One thing I wish to avoid as much as possible is for someone to travel halfway around the world to our flight shoot, only to find themselves caught up in a rule controversy. The equipment divisions based on traditional forms are the most challenging, but we have been making progress. The primitive divisions are pretty clean and inclusive since they mostly regulate the way the materials can be used.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 01:57:50 am »
Alan is a three piece Longbow considered leagal in the American Longbow class? Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline avcase

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 12:52:08 pm »
Alan is a three piece Longbow considered leagal in the American Longbow class? Arvin

No, 3-piece is excluded from the Modern American Longbow. It must be single piece or two-piece breakdown. My daughter’s record shot in 2005 triggered the rules committee to reclassify her three-piece Modern American Longbow as a Field recurve. The rules were then updated to specifically state that the bow must be single piece or two piece takedown.

This is kind of why I discourage creating rules or new classifications for “traditional” types of equipment.  Traditional definitions tend to evolve over time and there is rarely agreement over what the definition should be. 30 years ago, the Modern American Longbow flight rules required the bow resemble something like a glass backed Howard Hill bow with a 68” minimum length, very short handle, and non-centershot cut in arrow shelf, but that rapidly changed to allowing shorter reflex/deflex centershot bows. Now, it is common (outside of Flight) to see even shorter metal riser ILF 3-piece takedowns with elevated rests called Longbows.

Alan

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 11:41:23 pm »
Ok Alan I'll leave that one home. Thanks Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!