Author Topic: Deer movement lately  (Read 1849 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Deer movement lately
« on: March 21, 2018, 08:01:30 am »
One reason I love where I live.Every morning I get up I always take a peek out the window over the sink of our house making coffee.Not always but most times I count our deer.They are very relaxed this time of year just before dropping fawns.
I count 5 to 6 in these pics but they were coming from the left side of the picture so really a total of 8 or 9 came through this morning.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stoker

Re: Deer movement lately
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 08:31:09 am »
Nice view. Good way to wake up..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 09:26:37 am »
This is the toughest time of the year for our herd. The winter browse is long gone and nothing new is budding out yet, not much anyway. They get very hungry in March.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 02:57:31 pm »
Yes that can happen some years.Our deer are in good shape yet it seems.Not too tough of a winter either along with browsing already going on.Their picking in the pastures already.We've had some rather warmer weather earlier that's got pasture sprouting a little along with corn field & bean field volunteer spillage on the ground.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 03:18:16 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 06:22:56 pm »
I enjoy this time of year also Ed.  The deer have little fear of humans.  The grass is starting to green up and they spend a lot of time in yards.  My parents counted 13 in there's the other day.  We killed 5 off of our property this past season.  I don't think it's hurt the heard any.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 06:27:58 pm »
Ya they love my back yard also, the pear trees are blooming along with most everything else and they love it. As far as feed, they never get very hungry in our part of the world and are also very laid back this time of year. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 07:28:14 pm »
12" of snow cover but where ever there is a bare spot in fields that have melted a little deer seem to be on them, March can be rough month for our deer, no corn or soybeans left over and very little greens yet, Lots of browse and they look real good so far, Spring is a comin heard a few redwing blackbirds and seen a turkey vulture on a road kill deer. Bob

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 07:56:05 pm »
Good pics by all.Love it.I saw my first turkey vulture here the other day here too.Seems winters deep freeze hold is about gone for good.This winter was different though.I saw blue birds in the end of november/early december.Pretty rare for here this far north.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 12:19:24 pm »
Ed, you are making me a little home sick. Although the deer usually don't show themselves until April in my back yard. But the hens show up.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 01:41:02 pm »
You guys are seeing much the same as I am.  If the winter has not been particularly hard, this can be a pretty restful season for those does.  They may have a little fat left from year before, no one running around shooting at them, and the warmer days and shorter nights mean they are burning fewer calories and the sun can be a real blessing on a south facing slope.  Then, on a good day, they can walk along the garden and munch the "deer lollipops" (tulip flower buds).
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 10:50:44 pm »
The Canada geese are beginning to pair off and the elk herd is having a brunch on the golf course!  The collared doves appeared a month ago, but you can't shoot them in town.  I think there is a litter of bunnies in the shrubs out front.  But we need more snow here!  Got plenty or more yard and garden stuff to do!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry