Author Topic: Advice request on one limb naturally deflexed  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Advice request on one limb naturally deflexed
« on: March 13, 2018, 02:40:17 am »
I've floor tillered and recurved the tips on an osage stave about 2.5".  I have some natural deflex in one limb while the other is more or less straight.

The plan is a sinew backed recurve, 62" NTN with 8 inches pf stiff handle area, 4" handle and 2" for each fade.   1.5" wide at the fades but willing to go narrower if recommended by the expertise here.

Should I heat and bend to remove the deflex from the one limb?  Should I add deflex the straight limb to match? 

While trying to search for answers an idea also popped in to my head, I'm sure it's been discussed but typing in the key words brings up so much information its almost impossible.  How would a sinew backed bow work out if one were to heat bend in some deflex, then put the bow in a form to hold reflex while the sinew dries?  Would this stress the sinew a bit more in a good way.

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Advice request on one limb naturally deflexed
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 02:51:35 am »
Is this your first time sinewing a bow?Sinewing the back of a bow is not like making laminated bows onto forms.I would make the deflexed limb match the straight limb first.Then I would get the bow to brace at least in tiller.During that you can get your tip alignment in line good.Maybe even tiller it to 20".Then sinew your bow and let it reflex the bow as far as it wants.Since you already have the tips bent or recurved some there is no need for you to prop up the bow into more reflex.Unless you want a lot more reflex.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 03:16:26 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 09:25:41 am »
Thanks, BowEd.  I've sinewed enough that I've developed my own technique for applying the sinew but I'm now at a point where I would like to start changing up some variables.

The form I was thinking to use diring sinew glue up would be one similar to the image below, clamp the bow down at the handle and use blocks to raise the limbs to the desired degree of reflex.

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:42:34 am »
I agree with Ed about getting both limbs even as far as the deflex goes and about tilling out some before adding the sinew.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 10:06:42 am »
I misunderstood what you meant by a form.Yes propping up the tips is a thing easily done.Looks good.Yes prebending before sinewing will help getting more work out of the sinew.The more bend the more work it'll do.Good luck.Should make a very nice bow.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:27:21 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed