Author Topic: Rivercane from supply trade  (Read 2640 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Rivercane from supply trade
« on: March 08, 2018, 08:07:31 pm »
     I got some rivercane from trapper rob in the supply trade. I'd never used it before and have to say  I'm pretty impressed. It's much easier to straighten then Red Osier and seems to stay straight better to. It's a little lighter I'd say and I'm thinking from bareshaft test if I had 145grain points would probably be perfect. Couldn't find any at local store.
      I'll try get some more pictures when I can but here's four shots at four spots. I'm happy
Bjrogg 
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
Re: Rivercane from supply trade
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 09:19:21 pm »
Nice arrows, do you plan on using a fore shaft with your river cane arrows?
Northern Ute

Offline Morgan

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 09:27:42 pm »
Nice!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 10:41:19 pm »
Cool BJ.Nice shoting!!!I'm in the same boat as you.I usually use dogwoods/firs/or tonkin cane.I hope to get some river cane soon myself sometime.It does'nt surprise me they stay straight good.Tonkin cane does too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 10:57:56 pm »
I'd say they are pretty close to where you want them.  Got to get some arrows made for the lady who wants me to cut back the osier dogwod.  Nice arrows.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 05:59:06 am »
Very nice.  Looks like they shoot well.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 06:41:54 am »
Thanks everyone
Redhand no I don't plan on making forshaft. I've done it before and if I was hunting to survive and carrying everything I owned I can see its advantages. For myself hunting and practicing I shoot a one piece arrow slightly better and easier to make. I do find two piece arrows interesting though and may make one or two if I have a short cane shoot. I might be able to come up with a combination to get a little more forward weight for my spine.

Thanks Ed I really do like Red Osier to but this cane is much fast and easier to work. Red Osier can sometimes be frustrating to get straight and keep straight but makes a really nice arrow when you find the ones that work. Before you get to impressed with the shooting you should know this is from about ten yards. I'm not that good past fifteen.

Hawkdancer they are close but still bareshaft a little stiff. I think I'd like to try a heavier point but can't find one locally. Might have to do like Dbar and make my own. I'm new to this cane and not sure if I can scrape it down more to lower its spine or not. I'd really like a heavier point anyway.

Thanks Swampman and Morgan
Bjrogg

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 09:20:42 am »
Cool I bet they are a quick arrow. I would like to get some river cane to try some day.
Here lately I have been using phragmites they work pretty good. I use a grease wood fore shaft with a self point that I glue into the phragmites. And when it comes time to hunt I just add on a stone point, it doesn't change the way the arrow flies.
So through the summer months I’m shooting the arrow I will be hunting with in the fall. It works good for me in that way.
Northern Ute

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 09:43:20 am »
BJ make you've  got some at Marshall I'd like to see them first hand.  Looks good from here.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 12:07:37 pm »
Will do Bill always love talking and comparing arrows with you. Maybe we can even trade one if you'd like.
Bjrogg

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 02:38:10 pm »
That's a great idea.  I'll bring an arrow for you in trade.....what's your fav colors?? Blue and Red? :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 03:27:36 pm »
Sounds great Bill always been wanting one of your arrows. I'm good with whatever you make me. I'd prefer to be surprised.
Bjrogg

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 07:58:07 pm »
Those look really good BJ.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 08:55:57 pm »
Thanks Rob and thanks for sending them in the supply trade. I've always wanted to try some.
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 10:26:23 am »
BJ...I've put soldering wire 6" long into the front of some bamboo before.Then my field point or broadhead on.It definitely gives you some extra weight up front.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed