Author Topic: Show Me your First Bow ! Good ,Bad & Ugly ?  (Read 9438 times)

Offline Morgan

Re: Show Me your First Bow ! Good ,Bad & Ugly ?
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2018, 01:10:46 am »
My first successful bow made in 2012. Lots and lots wrong with it, but it shoots arrows. Red oak board, 4 miles ntn, sleek “lever” tips that are basically 3/4” square for the last mile or so. Super fast. Gotta be At least 75 fps.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2018, 01:25:14 am »
And this was my first blind attempt at making a bow. Little split of locust that was maybe 50 inches long. I had no idea how long a wood bow should be. No idea how to do anything to a bow really. Knew you had to chase a ring on locust and make it bend even. That’s what I tried to do. No bueno.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2018, 03:04:48 am »
Failures are a blessing in disguise at least for me they are made me slow down and pay attention to details and figure out the next path, I still make them but not as often and have yet the make a perfect bow , like a friend of mine says the devil is in the details , no truer statement then that !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline TorstenT

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2018, 11:07:30 am »
Hi!
My name‘s Torsten and I‘m from Berlin/Germany.
Being a longtime lurker on this forum, I thought that for my first post a presentation of my first bow would be rather fitting...  :D
So here it is: a Hazel ELB, 40# @ 30“, 74“ NTN. At that time the only information I had about making bows was a tutorial about building a Hazel flatbow. Since I like ELBs and Hazel seemed to be proper bow wood, I thought I could as well build a Hazel-ELB...  :D
It turned out OK, even with an equal width to thickness ratio. But, as was to be expected, it took a lot of set - more than 3“... ...but surprisingly without the slightest trace of chrysals.
The nocks are handcarved from cow horn. String is Dacron.
Greetz from Germany
Torsten
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:18:17 am by TorstenT »

Offline simk

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2018, 01:53:59 pm »
I knew this thread wasn't worn out. First bows r very special, you have got only one chance and can't do another  8)
DC: Yes, after some time i tried to heat the set out - it came back again but it still looks nice. Cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Jonas

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2018, 02:04:56 pm »
Lots of very impressing first bows  (-P
Well...here´s a picture of the first bow I build tortured. May it encourage every beginner looking at his or her first bow, yes, you could have done worse. Enjoy.
Ps: Moin Torsten

Acheulean

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2018, 11:28:04 pm »
Completed with help from: "Your First Wooden Bow", by Tim Baker, TBB Vol 4.

Thanks Tim!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 11:35:07 pm by Acheulean »

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2018, 02:50:15 pm »
Hazel youth's bow made in 2015; 60" ntn, hazel hollow-limb pyramid bow, 16 lb @ 24", antler nocks with a linen string built with a huge amount of very generous support from this forum.  My boy shot it for a couple of years, we've still got it but he now shoots an elb of 35#@25".