Author Topic: Osage self bow  (Read 9380 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Osage self bow
« on: March 13, 2018, 12:14:39 pm »
Last summer at Mo Jam my curiousity got the best of me when I brought home a bark on stave that was supposed to be from Kansas and harvested back in the middle 1990's.After chasing a ring and then floor tillering it to around 50#'s I left it set on the rack in the house.A month later I balanced the limbs and induced some reflex on my half form caul.I put it back on the rack for quite some time then till a couple of weeks ago.I thought I had reflexed the limbs to 5" retaining 80%.I just did another bow at 68" length with hooks on the same form that say it's 6.25".What happened I think is that I know this half form gives me 5" of reflex on a 64" bow.I did some assumimng and did'nt realize is that I heat curved the extended lengthed tips also more to give it a longer arched line.After tillering it to 50#'s it did retain well over 50% then yet that's including the tips of course.An honest mistake and I apologize.Too much time had elapsed from it coming off the caul to tillering it[like a couple of months] and I was mistaken.I've found a half form caul can give me options of positioning a full length form caul does'nt.
Limbs are rectangular shaped with a very flat flawless back and flat belly.After multiple sessions of 3 to 4 hour shootings adding up to a little over 300 arrows it has held up very well keeping it's profile.Shows only 1/2" what I call soft set after shooting then returning it's original resting profile within 2 hours.Very resilient wood yet.
The bow is 50#'s @ 28".66" TTT and 64.5" NTN.8" long handle with 10" to 11" stiff narrow outer tips.
1 and 3/8" wide @ fades.1 and 5/16" wide @ midlimb.Resting reflex @ 4".
Shoots smooth clean and quiet and a fun bow to shoot.Thanks for looking.Enjoy.
After tillering/shooting in resting on an old hedge post

Pointing to a bunch of young nut bearing oaks for the deer

Top view profile.

Handle alignment of string.Ala natural.Has it shooting a variety of spined arrows dead on not grouped very tightly elevation wise....lol but does windage wise even at 40 yards.

Brace.A slight deflex out of the top limb fade makes it look a shade more positive tiller than it actually is.6.75" BH to the back.

Full draw.

Close up pics of handle with my usual inlayed slightly raised [1/32"] horn dot arrow pass and modified type pin nock tips with sheep horn overlays.

Bulbous type handle.

Bottom tip

Top tip.

I happened to get reminisent  of my first osage self bow and wanted to show the difference side by side.You can see the photo senstivity of light on osage here over the years.It too is 66" long and 50#'s @ 28".Back then in the spring of 2009 I was so scared of hinging at the fades that I tillered the bow more or less whip tillered.You can see where the bow took set.Actually making the bow a short limb working bow on a long bow taking away it's advantage of longer limbs for a more comfortable smooth draw with a steeper string angle,but I was happy and tickled pink at the time to fling some arrows with it.
It seems I have gotten over the fear of hinging at the fades for quite some time now to the extent of coming real close to having the bow almost too round in the handle.It could have been a little more eliptical of a tiller with a longer handle.This paticular bow has 0 hand shock at least with 9 to 10 grain arrows yet.Handles are a big deal in how a bow feels shooting.
The difference in performance on these 2 bows is close to 30 fps @ 28".With the comfort level at full draw a lot more comfortable with the latest bow.Not many pictures took of the first bow because I did'nt join this PA forum till 2011 and then realizing the need by others for photo shots of bows.I built bows pretty much on my own except for using the TBB series books as guidance till then mostly.Still do actually but rarely any more.The insight on this site is invaluable.

Bow on the left looks like it has an 18" long handle @ brace.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 07:07:01 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Re: Osage self bow
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 12:23:58 pm »
Classy work on that one, Ed. I like the profiles and the plain beauty of an osage bow. What have you done with the arrow pass - is it horn inlay?
Also like that nearly transparent tip overlays, will come out nice when the bow darkens with some time.

You comparison with the 2009 bow is interesting, but looking at the unbraced side profiles makes visible why the newer is the faster for sure.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 12:27:23 pm »
Love the bow and the beard, Ed :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 12:36:45 pm »
Beautiful bow Ed really like the hour glass shape in the handle , that one really held the reflex, what is
the tip material polished antler ? its nice !!
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 12:40:51 pm »
Another beauty of a bow Ed.  :OK

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 12:51:18 pm »
Thanks fellas.
simson...The arrow pass is a slightly raised horn dot inlayed.Been doing it this way a while.I like 0 obstructions and clean whispery departure for the shaft when leaving.So the shaft rides on a very small raised area less than 1/16" and on my knuckle.Osage could probably get along with out it but white woods scratch more so.Some do but I don't have a problem with noise with this kind of arrow pass while even drawing the bow.Knock on wood but I've never had a deer jump the string on me yet.I personally think it helps to have arrow pass close to center shot also.Also sheep horn is about the hardest horn I've used for overlays so far.
Chris...That's 10 months worth of growth so far.
Rich...The overlays are sheep horn.
Paul...Appreciate it Paul.Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:31:23 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 12:56:25 pm »
Nice nice reflex, sir.
And 50#? You're feeling your Wheaties!
Looks like arrow pass is within 1/8" of center.
Congrats.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:59:48 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Will B

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 01:16:03 pm »
That is a great looking osage bow.  Love the handle and the tip overlays.  Thanks for the photos and the comparison with the older bow.  Very cool 8)
Will B 

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 01:24:09 pm »
That's beautiful Ed. The unbraced picture is, to me, what a bow should look like. If it isn't RD of course. When you lean a bow against the wall it should spin around til the back shows :D Nicely done.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 01:39:49 pm »
Very nice bow, Ed and what a comparison.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 02:05:47 pm »
Nothing like a simple, clean Osage bow. Well done, Ed.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 02:57:57 pm »
Nice bow, Ed. That's a lot of reflex. Geeze. Nice job.

I like the beard too. You look a LOT like my father in law. His name was Ed as well.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 03:03:53 pm »
Dang nice job as usual Ed! Don't you love it when they hold there reflex.😀

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 03:22:47 pm »
OOOOOh yea ....really like that design. every profile looks right on.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 03:37:51 pm »
  Ed,
          Nice work on that bend, looks even man  :OK
                                                                                        Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;