Author Topic: Osage self bow  (Read 9382 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Osage self bow
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2018, 10:16:03 am »
Im with you Steve I have never thought much of the Kansa's hedge compared to the Ind or Il hedge but I think maybe a combo of Ed's skill and the wood on that one ,hey Ed ,maybe its the pic but did you keep that one more paralelle to the leaver fade then your usual ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2018, 12:21:36 pm »
I don't know fellas.Could be that the stave was 20 yeas old too???I have some conceptions about that aged seasoned thing.He stored them in a small garden shed that was out in the open so I'm sure it got pretty hot in there at times in the summer.I've only worked on Iowa osage mostly.I think 1 Missouri stave though.They all were'nt near as old as that one.3 years old at the most.
The limbs start out 1 and 3/8" @ fade then to 1 and 5/16" @ midlimb width wise.From there tapered in width to base of lever.I think I stretched that top fade out to at least 3" long to 5/8" or a little less wide at the base of lever.I carried the reflex out on that lever to give it a clean arching type line side view when giving the bow reflex.
Just measured thickness @ midlimb and it's a shade under 7/16" like 13/32".This is some dense osage I think.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:19:48 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2018, 01:11:59 pm »
I am with you on the seasoned wood ED, I believe it takes about 10 years to really call one seasoned and who knows 100 years might even be better.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2018, 06:49:14 pm »
That one turned out awesome, would love to get some Osage of that caliber one day

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2018, 07:21:58 pm »
Ed, I miss a day of checking out PA and realize I'm late on seeing this beauty! Like Badger said, you totally nailed this one. Absolutely gorgeous profiles and tiller. You set the bar high my friend.  )P(
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Hans H

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2018, 02:46:40 pm »
Ed, I like your work, that profiles look very nice to me, congrats
Hans
Hans,      Bavaria, Germany

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2018, 03:06:51 am »
Thanks fellas.I don't show many bows any more.Just slowed down some I guess and don't show everyone I make either.
I've been tillering out bows of this design for quite some time now.Lately at least most times the results are quite a bit more pleasing.Could be the wood or the finessing of the design and tiller.At times that can be hard to tell why when making different length bows of same design but with different wood.Are you as confused as me now?.....lol.Length of bow can be a big factor most times but in this case I gotta side in with right design with the right length for the right type of wood.Although I think this wood would make a very nice bow on any design.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 08:59:33 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2018, 06:36:54 am »
Beautiful bow Ed, very nice work. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2018, 06:44:48 am »
Very nice!

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2018, 07:20:57 am »
Really nice bow, love that you kept it clean with just the arrow pass. Awesome reflex too!

Offline M2A

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2018, 07:58:26 am »
All around beautiful bow!
Mike

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2018, 12:04:39 pm »
Real nice!  That is either an inspiration to newbies, or very intimidating to pretenders.  I got a lot to learn!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry