Author Topic: Working on a giant bow to beat Allen Case!  (Read 35545 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Working on a giant bow to beat Allen Case!
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 11:00:34 am »
You will need a small tree for the arrow, and really big feathers for the fletching!  And a large crew to operate the drawing mechanism.  I'd like to see that work - from a ways off!  Ol' daVinci had some good ideas, a lot of them worked!  I sometimes wonder if he had alien influence, or some funny smoking stuff, or both!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 01:45:32 pm »
Make a take down Steve! Use white oak, the shipyards use stave quality wood, to steam bend ribs and planks. What you need is out there. Call a few up, im certain they can offer help on sourcing it for you.

Gannon and Benjamin come to mind. A well known outfit up in Massachusetts.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline willie

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 01:50:30 pm »
daVinci had some good ideas, a lot of them worked!  I sometimes wonder if he had alien influence, or some funny smoking stuff, or both!
Steve, your teasing us. We are having to guess too much. Is there a trip to burning man in your future?

2 feet wide and 32 feet long
a giant doug fir stave :o

I am open to a stack leaf design if I can get it to work right.
like a car leaf spring? some side by side stacking wold allow you get away from the 2 foot wide requirement

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 01:47:24 am »
I think it would need to be wider than 2'  for a 80' length. Not enough back for 24' draw. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 04:56:50 pm »
 Arvin, building on a 12X scale. wider would be better but even getting a 2 ft piece is kind of tough.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2018, 02:58:17 am »
Yes I understand Steve about the availability. I have so many questions about this project. Seams very interesting though. I will be watching for sure! Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2018, 01:38:24 pm »
Oh this wil be fun to watch! Remember the other Davinci show you did, saw that way before I ever touched a bow and realized years later it was you when I saw the show again ;D

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 09:52:44 pm »
if you made laminated limbs out of sheets of plywood it could easily be 48" wide...   :BB
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Badger

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 09:57:41 pm »
    I was trying to build each limb self bow but I may have to go laminated.

Offline avcase

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 11:26:26 am »
Do you plan to simply scale up an 80” bow made from the same material in order to get the dimensions?  I wonder how well this would scale?  For various reasons, the bending strength properties of large samples are not as good as small clear test samples, so you will probably have to go much more conservative.

Alan

Offline Badger

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 11:34:17 am »
   I was intuitively thinking the same thing Allen, theoretically the surface of the wood can't be under any more strain than a small bow but it seems there would have to be some extra strain from something so large I am not accounting for. I actually want to establish the feasibility of the project before I go to far. Working with a large piece of lumber would really simplify it but I am having my doubts as to whether or not they could handle sufficient strain.

Offline willie

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 02:17:58 pm »
Sadly, the old growth trees that would yield some 30' limbs are getting scarce. I wonder just how much one would have to scale back their expectations for the strength of materiel with a lot of well done lamination?

it seems there would have to be some extra strain from something so large I am not accounting for.

I think the limb strains will scale with a static analysis, although the dynamics of the tip return speed might be something to look into.

Offline sleek

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 02:27:01 pm »
I wonder if limbs will sag under their own weight?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Badger

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 02:37:54 pm »
  Sleek, depending on the wood the limbs will weigh somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000#, I don't believe they will sag, hopefully not anyway.

Willie, just from some small tests I have played with it doesn't seem like it is going to scale up very well. The 20 footer should tell me a lot.

Offline Badger

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 02:42:41 pm »
  Sleek, depending on the wood the limbs will weigh somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000#, I don't believe they will sag, hopefully not anyway.

Willie, just from some small tests I have played with it doesn't seem like it is going to scale up very well. The 20 footer should tell me a lot.

The testing will be based on a percentage of stored energy rather than peek draw force. Example. a 66" stores roughly 50# energy and we shoot an arrow that is about 1/1000  of 50#. So arrow weight of 1/1000 of stored energy is what the testing will be using.