Author Topic: First brace, first problem! Need help with limb twist.  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Julian

First brace, first problem! Need help with limb twist.
« on: March 13, 2018, 09:25:34 pm »
So when I roughed out this board I made a silly mistake, and it just isn't very straight. I've started trying to correct this in floor tillering, but when I took the bow to a low brace to see how I was doing, it became clear that it was no bueno.

What should I do at this point? I'm a bit reluctant to use heat to correct it, but I will if that's the best option. I could steam it over my stove but I've got no good way to clamp the bend out, without access to a work-bench. Here's some photos.

This is my very first look at the tiller, and getting the string alignment and twist out of the limbs is my priority before I begin to tiller.

not sure how well the twist comes across here but both limbs are twisted in the same direction.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: First brace, first problem! Need help with limb twist.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 10:06:44 pm »
It looks like I’m an elb style with a round belly. If so, just scrap a bit on the belly side corner you want the string to go towards. Scrape and bit and excercose. It’ll eventually start to work it’s way inline. Just a don’t take too much as it will then twist the other way. That twist it just part of what narrow bows do, and is easy to fix.

Kyle

Offline Julian

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 10:13:42 pm »
It looks like I’m an elb style with a round belly. If so, just scrap a bit on the belly side corner you want the string to go towards. Scrape and bit and excercose. It’ll eventually start to work it’s way inline. Just a don’t take too much as it will then twist the other way. That twist it just part of what narrow bows do, and is easy to fix.

Kyle

It's not too much twist to take out that way? Great, will do.

Thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 10:21:02 pm »
Julian, get the bend on the left limb more even. Looks like most is mid limb. Then get the right limb to match the left. You can concentrate of getting the twist out while you are doing this.
 Is it twist or lateral bend?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Julian

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 10:42:38 pm »
Julian, get the bend on the left limb more even. Looks like most is mid limb. Then get the right limb to match the left. You can concentrate of getting the twist out while you are doing this.
 Is it twist or lateral bend?

It's lateral bend, not twist. Didn't know the right word for it. But the limb tips do twist as a result.