Author Topic: BBL R/D lets see what happens. Mass?  (Read 1857 times)

Offline JWMALONE

BBL R/D lets see what happens. Mass?
« on: March 14, 2018, 01:26:42 pm »
Well guys, I done it this way because I had an advice over load. And I appreciate  and value every ones advice. So not having a clue as to what I'm doing I did some research on lemon wood designs. I found a bunch with tropical cores, hickory backed any were from 1 to 1 1/4 wide.
 So this is what I glued up, a boo backing strip 1/8th tapered to  1/16th. Ipe core/powerlam(?) 1/8th to 1/16th. Lemon wood belly 7/16 tapered to 3/8. 64 inches long one inch wide.
It kept half of what I glued in. Laying on a table it measures 5/8ths from table top to belly at center and 1 5/8ths at the tips.
Going to add a 12 inch ipe riser and tomorrow start tilering.  Might try some ipe tip overlays, I've yet to do those.
Shes probably a hundred pounds over anything I could pull, so I should have took that powerlam only advice.  But she is pretty.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 01:43:37 pm by JWMALONE »
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Re: BBL R/D lets see what happens.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 01:33:56 pm »
Looks like a great start. I hope it works out.  Definitely will be a good looking bow.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 01:36:40 pm »
Should I go ahead and add the tip overlays? They can cure while the riser is curing.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 01:40:46 pm »
Sure, add them now. You don't want to floor tiller without protecting that boo. Ironically enough, I too started my first lemonwood. It is straight, narrow and long. Backed with maple and has purple heart tip overlays, riser and riser overlay. Debating adding a purple heart power lam. Good luck on your build. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 01:43:54 pm »
So far that stuff works like a dream. I tillered a little to get it in the form then cleaned up the sides. Will definitely try Lemon wood again.

Offline pnwarcher

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 01:54:26 pm »
Nice glue-up, I like the contrast of that dark ipe sandwiched in there. When the time comes, don't be afraid to make your tips scary narrow!

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 02:11:46 pm »
I had planed on 3/8ths at the tips. That's as narrow as iv ever gone.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 02:45:56 pm »
Well guys, got the riser on early this morning, wasn't under any stress so I unclamped it this afternoon and roughed it out pretty close. Got the tip overlays on, left them a lil over sized for now. I will trim them down when I narrow the tips. Start tillering tomorrow afternoon, the glue should be cured out good enough by then.
 This is also a prototype for the bow swap. Anyone like ? If I use this design for the swap I will use EA40 and ipe for the belly. Ive been told lemon wood is know to fret or whatever that other word is.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 03:00:05 pm »
  i think it will make a nice light in the hand shooter, looks great so far

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 08:15:28 pm »
Well fellows, this is braced t 5.5 inches, pulled to 24 inches #48. Target was #50 don't think ill hit that. Gizmo and yard stick says its even. I don't know, how bad is it. Last 11 inches are stiff.

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 08:28:04 pm »
    The tiller looks pretty good, I would have started backing off weight at the first sign of set though. I bet if you would have brought that bow in at 35# instead of 50 it would have held it's profile better. Target weight to me is simply what I am hoping for, if a bow starts taking set I simply back off and see what I can get out of it, next time I go a bit wider. You possibly could have gone further into the fades for more bend also.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 08:45:35 pm »
It was an interesting first r/d. I didn't even notice it taking set at first. Youre right should have went for something lower, don't think there was enough wood to get #50. Some one with more experience probably could have I'm sure. But I done better than I thought I would with the first one. Pretty sure I can get the next one a good bit better.
 Thanks Badger.

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 09:00:06 pm »
  You are doing great, your building bows and learning fast. A good rule of thumb is that if a bow starts taking set and you still have a ways to go and the tiller looks pretty even you look around for places you can get more wood working. The outer limbs won't give you all that much so we usually look at the inner limb, I think you could have shortened up the handle and fade a bit and pulled out a few more inches. Any chance you could check the physical mass of that bow?

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 09:18:38 pm »
I have all 4 TBBS, ill do that tomorrow. Haven't got that deep into the science of it yet. Wanted to learn the basics first. just a decent bow that shoots were I'm looking.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 08:38:40 am »
You are learning fast, JW. Good looking bow. I like the color contrast between the woods. Steve gave you some great advice.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.