Author Topic: Pine pitch waterproofing/sealing sinew  (Read 3439 times)

Offline shackleton

Pine pitch waterproofing/sealing sinew
« on: March 14, 2018, 05:01:36 pm »
 I purchased some pine pitch and I was wondering how I could use this to seal/waterproof sinew wrap on fletching?My 1st build.
 Scott
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:46:54 pm by shackleton »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Pine pitch waterproofing/sealing sinew
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 08:31:00 pm »
I've never tried it yet but I think Pat B disolves dry hard pine pitch in denatured alcohol then strains it and stores it in sealed container. You use it like varnish brush it on alcohol evaporates leaving pitch to seal your project.
Bjrogg
Maybe Pat will chime in here
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 08:55:59 pm »
That's exactly how I make pitch varnish. I not only use it to seal the sinew wraps but also the shaft sometimes.
 Scott, is the pine pitch a commercial product?  What is it's intended use?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline shackleton

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 09:56:45 pm »
That's exactly how I make pitch varnish. I not only use it to seal the sinew wraps but also the shaft sometimes.
 Scott, is the pine pitch a commercial product?  What is it's intended use?
Yes I purchased it from Pinehollow Longbows.What proportion alcohol to pitch?
Thanks,
  Scott

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 10:19:13 pm »
Very cool way to do it! I usually use tb3 but pine pitch is plenty here in the evergreen state. Thanks for bringing this up!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 11:30:34 pm »
Enlighten me, refresh me or just wallop me along side the head to jar my memory >:D -  pine sap, I know, pick it off the trees, but what are the differences between pine tar, pine pitch, and brewer's pitch( which I got)?  I have used pine tar, turpentine, and linseed oil, equal parts, to make a varnish.  I used it on my lodge poles, but got it on the wooden canoe site
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline shackleton

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 03:37:12 am »
Enlighten me, refresh me or just wallop me along side the head to jar my memory >:D -  pine sap, I know, pick it off the trees, but what are the differences between pine tar, pine pitch, and brewer's pitch( which I got)?  I have used pine tar, turpentine, and linseed oil, equal parts, to make a varnish.  I used it on my lodge poles, but got it on the wooden canoe site
Hawkdancer
As a rookie I could use this info.too.
Scott

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 07:18:13 am »
I've never used anything but hard, brittle pitch I found on pine trees. If it was not hard I had to cook out the turps to make it so.
 If what you use becomes hard and not sticky when it dries then it should work fine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 11:43:31 am »
Pine pitch is usually sap, charcoal, and I’ve used beeswax and rabbit poop and other fixes into it. You’re saying straight sap and alcohol?
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 01:03:00 pm »
Tracker this isn't pitch glue we're making. This is a way of sealing like varnish. You use the same pine pitch but the hard dried up stuff. You dissolve it in denatured alcohol and strain it to clean it up. You have to store it in a sealed container. When you brush it on something like arrow or sinew the alcohol evaporates leaving a thin film of pine pitch to seal the water out. At least that's how I understand it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline shackleton

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 03:13:36 pm »
Tracker this isn't pitch glue we're making. This is a way of sealing like varnish. You use the same pine pitch but the hard dried up stuff. You dissolve it in denatured alcohol and strain it to clean it up. You have to store it in a sealed container. When you brush it on something like arrow or sinew the alcohol evaporates leaving a thin film of pine pitch to seal the water out. At least that's how I understand it.
Bjrogg

Correct..thats what I'm talking about.Thanks.
Scott

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 05:43:08 pm »
Pat
I sent you a private message.  I have a few different things for you to play with if you are interested (different types of hotmelts that act very similar to pitch.  I'd send it to you if you wanted to play around with the different products. 
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 10:03:12 pm »
Jeff, I PMed back and will call you tomorrow.