Author Topic: musings on dynamic properties of barreled arrows  (Read 15886 times)

Offline JNystrom

Re: musings on dynamic properties of barreled arrows
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 05:39:10 pm »
   I think asymmetrical taper has established itself as far as shape as being the way to go. Spine and FOC we don't seem to have conclusive results in yet. My belief is that a bow shooting 235 fps should be hitting 430 yards consistently even with 200 grain arrows if all things are right. So a 350 yard shot even though a good shot would not necessarily reflect a best design. I have hit 380 yards with a mediocre bow yet tend to hover around the 300 mark with much faster bows. This has to be due to arrow shelf design and or arrow design and possibly archers release.
Really? Don't the hornbow guys shoot arrows barreled with the turkish style? Skinny point, thick nock end. This is assymmetrical taper too, but thats not what i think you meant.
I notice there are two camps in arrow design, wood bowyers and horn bowyers... hmm.

I just made 15 more shafts, 6,2mm-7mm thick 24" arrows for 50# class and 6,4mm-7,5mm thick 23" for unlimited. Spine is a tricky thing indeed, that is why i like to try all spines. In past two weeks, i've made 48 flight arrows, some of them are remakes of old shafts, but still.  ;D

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2018, 05:52:22 pm »
  I have boxes full, maybe hundreds of flight arrows. Most of which are not that good. Some I think need better fletch and fine tuning. I like the design fatter toward the front and tapered to the rear, the very front of the arrow maybe tapered back about 3" to the fattest part of the arrow. So far that's my favorite but then again I don't have perfect to compare it to?

Offline JNystrom

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 01:02:35 am »
  I have boxes full, maybe hundreds of flight arrows. Most of which are not that good. Some I think need better fletch and fine tuning. I like the design fatter toward the front and tapered to the rear, the very front of the arrow maybe tapered back about 3" to the fattest part of the arrow. So far that's my favorite but then again I don't have perfect to compare it to?
Wow! Its nice when you have that many arrows, cause when you notice some little tweaking to make a difference, you have old "useless" arrows to try this on. Most of my old arrows i just shortened, barreled again and shaft profile was ready in 10 minutes.
I just measured and actually many of those shafts are fattest at that 3" from point.

This is a bit offtopic but may i ask, do you use only feather fletchings? Or do you use vellum also?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 01:06:01 am by JNystrom »

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 01:09:14 am »
  I use mostly pigeon feathers, but all feathers.
I have some hide glue soaked homemade paper that is looking pretty good but not sure if it is legal. Shellac is another primitive allowed sealer that seems to work pretty well on paper.