Author Topic: 1st arrow build ever...success!  (Read 2197 times)

Offline shackleton

1st arrow build ever...success!
« on: March 16, 2018, 02:42:18 pm »
After being away from primitive archery for over 15 years I've recently got back into it but this time around the goal was to make my own bow/arrows.A buddy sold me a longbow he made to use until I make one.He also gave me only 2 arrows...so obviously I needed more,deciding to make my own.Decided on a Eastern Native 2 fletch/turkey feathers/self nock/sinew.I never did anything like this before so I figured I'll do one arrow and see before I do others.After 2 hours I finished.My biggest criticism is the fletching needs to be further back to the nock.Also chewing sinew...maybe it was packaging taste...kinda like mothballs literally dry heaved a few times on the stuff.An acquired taste I assume!Anyways it was a success at 15-20 yards/winds close to 20 mph/shooting off my hand/having only shot once last week for the 1st time in 15 years...1st shot.....I expected it to end up on the next block over but....it worked.
 Learned a lot from the 1st so the others will not only be nicer as far as sinew wrapping etc. but time management as I kind of have a system for now.
 Thanks to everybody who shares their knowledge on the site!
 Scott

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: 1st arrow build ever...success!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 05:41:00 pm »
You got a good start goin on......
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 11:50:44 pm »
Not bad! DBar is the guru!  Soak the sinew in the beer before chewing >:D!  Double check the nock/fletch ratio, maybe about an inch!  Then we probably should trim the fletch a bit - per previous advice from Mullet, I believe!   Darn good shot placement!  Congratulations!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 12:22:48 am »
Nice first arrow.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 06:06:46 am »
Nice first arrow. You might want to wrap the front of quill a bit more. I usually completely wrap quill not leaving any tip to possibly get stuck in my hand. Not a lot more than you used but enough to cover quill. Didn't notice how much you used on notch but usually wrap about quarter inch to keep shaft from splitting.
Look forward to seeing more there is actually a lot to matching arrows to bows and making good flying arrows. Many tricks of the trade.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise