Author Topic: Carving axe/hatchet  (Read 2401 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Carving axe/hatchet
« on: March 16, 2018, 05:34:26 pm »
It's been a while since i posted.  Hope everyone is doing well.  Does anyone do much work with carving axes?  If so, any recommendations? I've looked at plenty and it seams like the reputable ones are $100-250.  Are they that much better than the $40 one I have now. The Swedish axes seam to be the most popular.  Any advice is appreciated.   Thanks!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: Carving axe/hatchet
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 06:41:44 pm »
I would be curious as well.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 12:36:40 am »
The old saying is"You get what you pay for" ( most of the time)!  I would think the Swedish hatchets are very good, but that is a chunk of money.  If your hatchet is doing what you want to your expectations, stay with it.  Your skill level should determine whether a high dollar hatchet is worth it.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 12:38:45 am »
 Btw,, you ain't the Jeff Utley I know! >:D Lol!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 11:00:40 am »
People tend to think that the expensive tools will turn them into an expert. It's kinda the other way around. You should be an expert to appreciate expensive tools. For most of us a moderately priced tool will do the job nicely.

Offline HoBow

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 03:40:05 pm »
I use my hatchet quite a bit- between yard work, kindling fire wood, splitting smoking wood, wood reduction for staves and other wood projects etc.  it doesn't stay sharp as long as it should and it's showing it's age from heavy use and sometimes abuse.  This is part of why I would be more comfortable spending money on a nice one as it would get used a lot.  I spent a lot of money on a draw knife 15 years ago and my go-to is a $10 antique shop find. Most old hatchets I've found are junk- I guess because of what all they can be used for.   
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 11:19:18 pm »
Well... can’t go wrong with gransfors bruks!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline HoBow

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 05:48:56 pm »
Yeah- but they are definitely on the high end of what I would be willing to spend.  I've been looking at the hults bruk.  A little cheaper but gets really good reviews.  The almike is the size I'm looking at. . 
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 07:00:28 pm »
Hey HoBow, you didn't grow up in Pittsford, NY did ya? I'm asking cause I know a guy who made bows and uses that same handle... HoBow.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline HoBow

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 10:42:33 pm »
Not me- grew up in Kentucky.  Sounds like an imposter 😜
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 12:36:46 am »
One of my buddies had a nor mark Swedish skinning axe that was real sharp and light, and I really liked it, but I like my double bit warren axe more, I like the weight.  Durability wise setting hatchets last forever.  The hatchet is an amazing tool, good luck

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 08:59:24 am »
I have a Granfors and it is really sharp. I just don't like the weight. Check into some of the high end Japanese blades.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 09:56:19 am »
For a carving hatchet a Vaughn roofing hatchet works fairly well.  The cheeks are pretty thin, and the weight is pretty easy to handle.  A little work with a file or grinder to reprofile the bevels and you're all set.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 10:29:49 am »
Personally I like using old 1930s pre-war Plumb's, they have a good weight to them, plus I love the looks of the subtle hudson bay style hatchet.  Collins are great hatchets also.  One day I would like to pick up an old Norlund, now those things are cool!