Author Topic: 5 curve? double curve? Any one made one?  (Read 1881 times)

Offline JWMALONE

5 curve? double curve? Any one made one?
« on: March 17, 2018, 09:34:07 am »
Hello guys, cant find much info on double curves, Like the natives in the south west built. Or the southern India type long bow.
Would really like to jump on that, ive read it was for experts only, but I got brand new work boots that need breaking in. Any one ever built one? Or know were I can find a build along?
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline burchett.donald

Re: 5 curve? double curve? Any one made one?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 09:48:37 am »
JW,
      There's been a bunch of 5 curves on here...The search function isn't good though...Here's a link http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=41229.0
      Maybe some fellas will chime in...
                                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 09:55:18 am »
Thanks Don. Maybe ill wait until I have a stave? Was thinking about thin lams, might be to easy. LOL

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 10:05:13 am »
More of an entire West style.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 10:23:32 am »
 JW,
           Would love to see you steam in a few bends on a piece of Carolina Hickory or a piece of Sage...

Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 10:37:37 am »
Pat, i was looking at some from the south west, but west coast in general is a better discription.

Don, Got a small hickory that needs to be cut off the fence line, gonna wait till later in the spring or summer.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 07:15:29 pm »
I made a 5 curve fairly recently out of osage with a sinew back. I was just getting ready to post it when... bang! Just as I was taking the FD pic. A word of warning, my design was way too adventurous. The curves were too extreme, especially in the handle. If I were to attempt one again, I'd go with much gentler curves and make it plenty wide. Just my thoughts
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 07:20:16 pm »
Thanks for the warning Upstate, sounds like good advice.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 07:23:46 pm »
  The five curve wants to bend in that first curve off the handle, good to allow for that to do the bulk of the work right from the beginning, make the inner limb plenty wide. I think to really take advantage of the design the outer limbs would be best if thick and rounded similar to an elb and have a slight flex through the handle.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 08:22:16 pm »
Thanks Badger, I'm gonna wright all this down so I don't have to look it up later. I believe I will wait and use the hickory stave I'm going to cut. Its perfectly straight, no limbs on the first 8 feet or so. The circumference is 13 inches so about 4 inches in diameter. Don't know if that's big enough, if not ill make a sapling bow from it and source a more suitable stave for the 5 curve.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 08:41:37 pm »
Man, I'm kicking myself for not asking for advice prior to making that last one. I definitely made the inners too narrow. Thanks Steve!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 09:18:30 pm »
Ole timers are great aint they. They were our version of the internet when I grew up. LOL

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 09:46:58 pm »
John, how long of a bow do you want to make?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 11:38:19 pm »
 The double curve is typically a narrow bow though. As is the South Indian bow, although it is much longer.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 12:32:21 pm »
Have no idea what size, was thinking a longer bow like the southern India ive seen. It will be awhile so plenty of time for research.