Author Topic: Penobscot tiller help  (Read 858 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Penobscot tiller help
« on: March 17, 2018, 03:28:20 pm »
I dropped the weight a significant amount after the first time I assembled the bow and put the long string on it to see where it stood. I’m assuming the left main limb is the problem of being a bit string. But as I was getting everything flexing, it all seems to stay fairly even. But as soon as the backer bow went flat, the right limb popped weak. As in the bow tilted to the left hard. I’m guessing that’s where the load transfers from the backer bow to the main bow and that little difference in strength of the two limbs made the right limb take the load first. I’m wanting some more opinions before I start scraping in anything.
It looked to be about a brace level of bend about where it occurred. And it had the interesting effect of having almost no weight shift for about 3 inches of pull until the limb went weak. It pulled 50# from about 12” to the 15-16” it was in the picture. I know the long string will change the way the bows interact. But I feel like it’ll still give a general idea of how they will cooperate.

So any opinions?

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Penobscot tiller help
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 06:14:18 pm »
 Kyle,
          Don't forget option B...You can adjust string tension on the backer...Rich-"half eye" made me one awhile back with rawhide strings which I had to adjust a few times...I noticed this was the key to keeping tiller in balance between the backer and the bow...Yours may take a few twists on the weak side limb...JMHO

Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 06:28:04 pm »
I never thought about adjusting the tension on the bridge strings. I’ll give that a try. I appreciate the input.

Kyle

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 08:19:02 pm »
    My theory is that the neutral plain of the main bow shifts forward towards it's back once the backer comes into play a few inches into the draw...Bridge tension IMO is a very important player...
                                                                                                                                            Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;