Author Topic: Advice on a knot  (Read 1360 times)

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
Advice on a knot
« on: March 17, 2018, 04:59:05 pm »
Heh guys,

A few weeks ago I started roughing out this small Osage stave I had. I removed wood from the sides before beginning to chase a ring but then I came across a knot in the side of the bow limb. I didn't see anything on that part of the stave that told me there was a knot there but there is. It doesn't go all the way through the limb and I probably ate through half of it with the rasp anyway and I was wondering if this knot is going to be a problem or not. I put a Sharpie marker where the knot is located on the bow stave and drew a star symbol also for location. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Aaron

https://imgur.com/Y3xqRDq
https://imgur.com/gzS9s57
https://imgur.com/6TArHwK

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Advice on a knot
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 07:17:17 pm »
aj,
        Don't know what style you are making...That being said, I think this area may be left stiff outer anyway...I don't see a problem being Osage...What style are you making, weight, length...
                                                                                                                                      Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 08:03:24 am »
It could go either way, I suspect the punky part of the knot will pop out even if you give it a good soaking with superglue.

I don't know how wide your tips are but I would leave the tips thick (1/2"+) for strength and narrow them to get rid of the knot. Be sure to follow the grain that flowed around the knot.

Offline ajbruggink

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 11:40:07 am »
aj,
        Don't know what style you are making...That being said, I think this area may be left stiff outer anyway...I don't see a problem being Osage...What style are you making, weight, length...
                                                                                                                                      Don
I am making a D-bow with a working handle. The length is 63" from tip to tip and the knot is about 6 1/2" from the tip of the bow limb. The design is 1 1/8" inches wide the center 15" of the stave where it tapers to 1/2" tips. I was going to try to make this bow 45#@29".

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 11:47:31 am »
Here's a case where I would try to work the sap wood to one ring and use that for the back. It looks like the sap wood is uninterrupted.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline ajbruggink

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 11:55:43 am »
Here's a case where I would try to work the sap wood to one ring and use that for the back. It looks like the sap wood is uninterrupted.
The problem with that is I already worked to one heartwood ring on the other side of the stave, so that's going to be a problem.