Author Topic: Fire Saw Question  (Read 5542 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Fire Saw Question
« on: March 31, 2008, 10:43:27 pm »
A while back Bob did a fire saw post.  I'm looking to give it a try but have a few questions.
1.Is the saw the stationary part of the set  and how do you keep it stationary
2.Do you have to get the saw totally flat, if so how?, The boo I have is about 2 1/2 inches in diamater so I'm afraid the saw would be concave.
3. Do you put tinder in the half round piece of bamboo that is being sawed.

Thanks for any info
Rick
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:45:32 pm by ricktrojanowski »
Traverse City, MI

Offline DanaM

Re: Fire Saw Question
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 08:47:01 am »
rick I have no answer for ya on this, but bob is supposed to be at Pappy's so maybe
you can ask him in person eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 12:38:06 am »
Is a fire saw the same thing as a bow drill?  Sorry for the dumb question.  I've only seen the bow drill done once, but never tried it.  It looks simple enough, but not necessarily easy.  :P The hand drill, even more so.   :-[

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 01:44:36 am »
its only simple if you have good hearthboard/spindle woods,earwax in spindle hole and no belly in the way of progress!!! ::)
but yes, its simple after ya make smoke.
mbg

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 01:55:54 am »
Nope one is a saw, the other is a drill.   The saw saws, the drill drills.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 10:24:06 am »
Nope one is a saw, the other is a drill.   The saw saws, the drill drills.  ;D Justin

So if they saw and drill, which one fires.   ;D

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 10:52:20 am »
Neither...... the kindling fires.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 11:47:18 pm »
N
Is a fire saw the same thing as a bow drill?  Sorry for the dumb question.  I've only seen the bow drill done once, but never tried it.  It looks simple enough, but not necessarily easy.  :P The hand drill, even more so.   :-[

Mike
No the saw is a bamboo "saw" running in the cut of a bamboo hearth to create the coal.  Different than the handdrill or bow drill.  Looking for something new.
Traverse City, MI

Offline benjamin

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 12:48:51 am »
With the fire saw, the saw moves through a notch cut in the base board; kindof like a fire plow but with the base at a 90 degree angle. Australian aboriginies would use their throwing sticks as fire saws. The base works far better if it is two sticks tied together at the ends. The coal falls into the grove between the two base sticks. My throwing stick is also my fire saw. The edge I use is... 1/4'' thick by about 2'' wide and 27'' long. It takes some practice because of the wierd angle being bent over and all, but I favor it above the hand drill. Good luck.