Author Topic: Hey all you boat builders!  (Read 6524 times)

Offline sleek

Hey all you boat builders!
« on: March 18, 2018, 03:13:56 am »
I saw mention on another thread where a few folks said they were boat builders. I have built 2 of my own design, and just thought it would be neat to start a thread with those of us who have built, and share what we have made.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Hey all you boat builders!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 07:24:06 am »
Boat no but canoe yes
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 10:54:00 am »
My boats were remote control racing sailboats. 1 meter long.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 01:14:15 pm »
I got a 17' wood/canvas (possible BN Morris) to restore/rebuild, does that count?  Darn thing got a fiberglass coat somewhere along the way and will be a real pita to skin out to get to the wood working part.  Had the thought of betting the skin off and tacking it to the garage wall or stretching on a rack like a hide!  Got too much stuff in the garage to put it indoors to work on it, though.  Maybe just stay around the campfire?  No problem with a dedicated thread though.  We are a versatile bunch!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 01:50:58 pm »
Id say id if its a boat, its good for this thread. Rc, canoes, or anything else. I will dig up my pkcs and post about them, but Im hoping others will too...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 02:05:08 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 06:34:25 pm »
I built a 16' cedar strip canoe a couple of yrs ago. I have all the materrials for another one just need to get to it, see if I can find a few of my pics. Bob

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 06:41:42 pm »
I haven’t yet. But this spring and summer I have plans to build a frame and canvas canoe with black locust saplings as they are so abundant around us. I haven’t decided on dimensions yet. But I plan on using it for trapping (beaver, otter, and coon primarily) and fishing mostly with the occasional hunting trip and being gone paddled by 1 person most of the time. With an occasional passenger to help. So myself plus about 500# wouldn’t be an unrealistic number to see every now and then. One good run of 10 mature beaver and some spare gear Or a paddle In hunting trip with a buddy and we both shoot a deer. Both scenarios are very possible and easily top this numbers. And really not that difficult to accomplish.
I don’t know what good numbers would be, but I’m thinking about 32” wide in the center and 12’ long, with the center 4’ straight. And shape it like a boat tail bullet. With w little longer nose and a more blunt rear. I’ll probably shift that center section about 1’ rearward. I’m thinking it may help with one man paddling.Think it would do it, or should the numbers be modified?

I’ll definitely be posting pictures once I get started.

Kyle

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 07:11:50 pm »
This is not one of my racing boats. This is a R/C model of the 1903 100 ton Olympic entrant Cecily. 103' long(model is 5'). Got a silver I think. I started with a 2'x6'x6'  Western Red Cedar plank for the hull and a chunk of Yellow Cedar off the beach for the decks. Took me a year. I managed to get all the original drawings so all the fitting and rigging are correct. I sailed it once and it sailed well but it was just too big to transport easily so it sits collecting dust behind me. It's good Yew dust though with some OS and Maple in there also.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:54:55 pm by DC »

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 07:13:08 pm »
Boy is it ever dusty, I'd better fix that. All fixed
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:56:31 pm by DC »

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 08:43:47 pm »
Here is a couple pics of the strip canoe sanded and just about finished, added the seats and some spar varnish. 16' and 3' wide, not much rocker so pretty stable. 65 to 70# when all said and done. Need to start another one. Bob )F( -C-

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 09:02:59 pm »
That's a beauty Bob. My brother-in-law bought one from the widow of a guy that died before he finished it. It sat in his rec room for 18 years. It just needed gunnels and seats. For some reason the guy had dumped any leftover resin in the bottom. It was almost as thick as the ribs in spots. We ground out as much as we could but the boat was always too heavy.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 09:49:01 pm »
Those 2 are beautiful watercraft, fellas!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 10:45:24 pm »
Real nice work on these craft!
Kyle, get a copy of the Wooden Canoe by Rollin Thurlow and Jerry Stelmok and checked out the WCHA website - it is very similar to our PA site for info!  A great amount of info and knowledge as well as an occasional p****ing contest!.  I will be looking for red cedar when I proceed with my project, either erc or wrc, doesn't matter.  Good luck with the build.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Online chamookman

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 02:34:38 am »
I've always wanted to do a Cedar strip & Canvas Canoe ! Wirwicki built a really nice Cedar Strip Kayak a while back - real pretty. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 06:50:59 am »
Made this 12' kayak/canoe about 30 years ago.  I had plans on making a 16 footer but never got around to it
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com