Author Topic: Maple ELB progress.  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Julian

Maple ELB progress.
« on: March 18, 2018, 03:35:06 am »
So I've fixed the string alignment and lateral bend / twist in my maple longbow, but I got some tear-out mid limb on the bottom limb and its been threatening to hinge on me the whole time. I'm drawing it to about 24" at the moment.

Could I have some extra pairs of eyes on this? I know the tiller needs some work but I can't focus on what in particular. I ended up piking it a bit, so my longbow isn't particularly long. it's a longbow in spirit.

not the best angle on this pic.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:45:08 am by Julian »

Offline Julian

Re: Maple ELB progress.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 08:54:43 pm »
bump

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 10:15:14 pm »
Your hand is too high on the string in the photo to get an accurate idea of tiller.  Make a temporary nock point just above 90 degrees from the arrow pass.  Also, try to have more of a "flat" sideways view for the next photo (like flat against a wall, not angled toward the camera).  It looks like you are getting close!

Offline cadet

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 05:57:36 am »
Just eyeballing it: too flat in the middle; too flat in the tips; what is bending is doing too much work and needs to be left well alone; the bend needs to be distributed more evenly.  Go for a shape pretty near a segment of a circle. Try superimposing something round over both pictures of it and the bow itself while tillering.  I use an old cd or the like.  If an ELB style, the handle could bend a tad.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:04:08 am by cadet »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 07:39:55 am »
Looks like the bow is symmetrical.  Longbows are supposed to have the arrow pass near center which would put the hand below center.  Besides that it looks pretty good.  The center could bend a bit more but not by much and the outer limb on the left could bend a bit.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 04:54:34 pm »
 Here's a visual of what Marc said.   Two areas highlighted in yellow are just BARELY flat.  You may not even really want to touch the middle if you are happy with draw weight, etc.

Once (if) you adjust those, the RT limb will be just BARELY stiffer overall than the LT limb.  Adjusting where you grip might take care of that all on its own.

Otherwise, great job.