Author Topic: Sinew-backed Plum Shorty  (Read 6146 times)

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Sinew-backed Plum Shorty
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2018, 07:45:47 pm »
Good looking bow.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2018, 12:42:02 am »
Nice bow!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline barebo

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2018, 04:52:56 am »
51" -- Yikes! Every bow you show us screams artistry. The combinations of materials that go into the finished product come together perfectly every time! Wow!!!

Offline Will B

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2018, 06:09:44 am »
Great looking bow!  Nice profile and I really like the skins.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2018, 06:31:38 am »
Beautiful bow, very well done in all aspects, love the finish work, outstanding. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2018, 06:43:27 pm »
I really appreciate all of your comments guys. Most of what I can do I've learned from you.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2018, 08:13:31 pm »
That thing looks pretty cool! Great work
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2018, 09:07:15 am »
Love it. Love those bendy shorties. BOM contender there.

Offline Perkinator

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2018, 02:20:16 pm »
The belly almost looks like a healing would, being all read and shiny. I doubt the wounds inflicted by that bow will ever heal!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2018, 03:43:47 pm »
  Fantastic, dude!  That is a pretty, pretty bow, and looks like a quick shooter.

"Sinew really is amazing stuff. There's just one thin coarse of it under those skins and as soon as I slide the string down the wood just pops right back to where it was."

I agree entirely, esp. on such a short little bow, but I have to put a plug in for the wood.  I had treated plum like any whitewood, or chokecherry in the past and had success, but only got to use a few larger pieces. But, recently (while reading some of Badger's posts) I re-considered it.   I think plum is amazing!  It's just SO freaking elastic.  It hates to break, and it hates to take much set.

I like it so much, I am cutting just about anything useable, for any style of bow I can get my hands on.  I'm taking little 1" diameter suckers off fruit trees, lumpy / knobby stuff, knotty stuff, stuff with spiral grain, anything.  I'm willing to split and splice about any 3' X 3" diameter piece, no matter how it snakes and curves.  IT'S FANTASTIC.  I can't wrap my head around why it doesn't have a long and stories history as bow wood.

And your bow is gorgeous.

Offline Whiskeyjet

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2018, 07:30:33 pm »
Gorgeous bow Jeff!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2018, 08:29:08 pm »
Thanks so much fellas.

I know what you mean Perkinator. Plum has a really magical quality about it.

I completely agree Springbuck. It's in a class all by itself. The problem is, like you mentioned, it's so tough to find a piece straight and long enough to make a bow out of. It's also not a very common tree, at least around here. I wish you the best of luck in finding a suitable piece(s). Billets may be the most plausible pieces to search for. Glad you like the bow.  :)

"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb