Author Topic: Sad, sad day :-(  (Read 1835 times)

Offline k-hat

Sad, sad day :-(
« on: March 17, 2018, 06:07:47 pm »
Well, she was a good one, and we shared many-a bowmaking experience.  Alas, she's gone  :'(

Offline Tracker0721

Re: Sad, sad day :-(
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 06:18:43 pm »
I’ve got a welder! Could easily save that bud, though the hall of fame isn’t a bad resting spot
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 06:21:05 pm »
So I have an idea for a repair bit it might leave you with a drawknife a few inches shorter.

Basically, cut off a portion of the blade to extend the tang, and use the old, broken tang as the piece that will go into the handle. Not sure if this will work though.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 06:25:40 pm »
  Makes me think of all the good draw knives I have given away over the years to promising students who soon went on to other hobbies. I would feel better about it if I had broke them on the job. He died doing what he loved to, shaving wood!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 06:27:41 pm »
You broke it on Cedar?   I would find a welder and get her back in service.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 06:30:21 pm »
She aint what she use to be, but she aint dead yet.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline k-hat

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 07:48:09 pm »
outlaw she broke while I was working he cedar, but it wasn't the cedar, just timing I think.  I thought about getting it welded back, but worried that the weld wouldn't hold up in that location... maybe I'm wrong?

If the weld would hold, I'd prefer to do that because she feels so good in my hands, it's just a natural fit and working with her is always a pleasure.  Yeah, still talking about the draw knife haha ;D

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 07:50:54 pm »
 I welded mine and it's holding up. It was shaped a bit different than yours I think.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 12:27:28 am »
I'd say get her fixed, they don't make 'em like that any more.  If it doesn't work, at least you tried, then hang her on the wall!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 03:27:35 am »
A decent weld should be stronger than the original... (not sayin' I can do a decent weld tho'  :-[ )
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 07:54:15 am »
Easy fix, weld a bolt on the stub the same size as the hole through your handle. I would slot the bolt and file the handle down to fit the slot before I welded it. Put the handle on and hold the handle on with a nut and washer. I would tack weld the nut on then file it down to be more decorative.

I have done this fix before on an old drawknife.

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 09:58:53 am »
K-hat,
  I will weld it for you if you don't have anyone local to do it. contact me if you need help.
   Steve

Offline k-hat

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 03:24:05 pm »
Shows what I know about welding haha Thanks for the input, advice, and offers...the PA community is pretty awesome  :OK

We'll be going to see the in-laws soon, and my wife reminded me that her Dad is a very capable welder, so it looks like the old girl might get back into service  ;D  :BB