Author Topic: Primary Turkey wing feathers vs tailfeathers in primitive 2 fletch  (Read 6598 times)

Offline shackleton

Which do you prefer?I used wing for my 1st arrows(Eastern Woodland 2 fletch) but after watching videos I wonder if tail may work better?Thoughts and experience  welcome.
Scott
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 05:02:52 pm by shackleton »

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Primary Turkey wing feathers vs tailfeathers in primitive 2 fletch
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 06:04:39 pm »
I save my primary feathers for three fletch....I've used turkey tail and secondary's for two fletch.....
Here are some tail fletching and river cane I did years ago, shot them a lot and really like them.  Try some secondary's they really work and look great.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline shackleton

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 07:58:24 pm »
Thanks for the info and pics!
Scott

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 08:03:28 pm »
I do the same as Bill. I use my primaries for three fletch and tails for two fletch. Those look nice Bill.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 08:20:15 pm »
Scott,
          I also use tail and secondaries for my Eastern Two Fletch...My opinion is that they are quieter in flight on this style because of their softness... I started using this style exclusively because they were easy to tie...I also noticed even when the quills are soaked in water and then pulled tight you would hear a light humming in flight due to the quill vibrating against the shaft...Since I don't use glue, I now take a sinew thread and tie the quill down at the halfway point...This is the quietest configuration for me to date...Here are some secondaries tied up, "right wing" 90 degree helo...Look close for the small sinew thread tie down...
                                                                                                                            Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline shackleton

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 08:25:03 pm »
Scott,
          I also use tail and secondaries for my Eastern Two Fletch...My opinion is that they are quieter in flight on this style because of their softness... I started using this style exclusively because they were easy to tie...I also noticed even when the quills are soaked in water and then pulled tight you would hear a light humming in flight due to the quill vibrating against the shaft...Since I don't use glue, I now take a sinew thread and tie the quill down at the halfway point...This is the quietest configuration for me to date...Here are some secondaries tied up, "right wing" 90 degree helo...Look close for the small sinew thread tie down...
                                                                                                                            Don
Actually I considered doing a mid fletch tie down.I'll do that.Also do you guys trim down your feathers much to reduce "drag" or is there no need with only 2 fletches?
Scott

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 08:39:09 pm »
Scott,
           Mine are trimmed to a half inch...For me that is high enough to stabilize an already tuned arrow...Being that they are only Two fletch with less surface area than a three fletch, I don't cut them down a lot...
                      Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 08:45:06 pm »
Nice arrow DBar... :OK
                                    Don

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 08:55:40 pm »
Oh I like those to Don. You guys are making me want to do some two fletch again. It's been awhile.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 09:08:48 pm »
Those are two of the nicest sets of two fletch I have seen.  Great work guys

Offline shackleton

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 09:15:18 pm »
Very motivating to see such work.
Scott

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 11:13:46 pm »
Got to get some feathers ready!  Plan to make a set of 2 fletch pretty close to matched, just have to figure out which bow to match them to!  Probably the hickory or Transdex, hopefully they both end up nearly the same wt.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 08:23:30 am »

Nice arrow DBar... :OK
                                    Don
Thanks  Don....yours are cool really like your fletching  :OK
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 08:20:50 pm »
I do the same as BJ and Bill.
Northern Ute

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 08:39:57 am »
Love both D-bars and Don's arrows. I have to try some two fletched arrows now as well. I have ran out of primaries for my arrows so the secondaries and tail feathers will come in handy  :)