Author Topic: Is a crack on the belly death?  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Tracker0721

Is a crack on the belly death?
« on: March 20, 2018, 08:10:01 pm »
Sanding my osage down for final finish and I noticed a dark little line. I used the scraper and followed it down a bit and it’s now this little guy. Mid limb belly. Super glue in it is making it look dark. Only crack I’ve ever had going against the grain so I’m a wee bit scared.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Tracker0721

Re: Is a crack on the belly death?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 08:12:04 pm »
Also, that spot was heated and flattened as it had a sizable bend both sideways and towards the belly(if that makes sense)
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 09:32:37 pm »
Tracker, that's either a chrysal or a crack caused from your straightening.
Chrysalis are caused when that area is bending too much in relation to the rest of the limb.
In other words the tiller is off. If it is a chrystal scraping would worsen it.
Cannot tell without seeing the tiller.
Jawge
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 07:45:39 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 09:47:12 pm »
Well shoot. That spot is a weak spot I’ve avoided like the plague. Had a knot on the side that came out and splintered in so it got pretty thin. It didn’t look too hingy during tillering though. Didn’t check after scraping in that little bit. If it is a Chrystal can I sinew wrap that area or just know it’s days are numbered?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 10:33:02 pm »
It could be from straightening that area.  If that's the case the superglue should do the trick.  It's hard to tell what it is from that picture.  Can you post a full draw?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 10:48:12 pm »
I sure will tomorrow. I’ve got epoxy drying on the nocks so I’ll shape those and get it strung up for a picture.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 12:42:10 am »
Is the crack raised like a miniature mountain peak, or flat? Brace a draw the bow. If its still flat, its fine, if its raised like a bump, its bad.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 02:44:16 am »
If there was a big hump on the back/dip on the belly there that you tried to straighten out, I'm guessing you went too far and that it failed in tension.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 02:44:52 am »
Im with this ^ guy
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline rps3

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 05:19:42 am »
My experience has been, if its a crack from bending, it will keep a coat of poly on it without bringing the crack through the top of the finish. If the crack is in fact a chrysall, the finish will also crack after exercising the bow a bit.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 07:33:47 am »
I get those from bending sometimes, no big deal, most of the time they will disappear during the final tillering. I always give them the superglue treatment just to be sure.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 06:16:32 pm »
Here it is. Didn’t raise, doesn’t look hinged to me, didn’t grow. The blue arrows point to it. My top fade is a bit long and has a bulge forward than back so it looks really wonky to me right now. If I could overlay a grid the tips are on a vertical line parallel to the grip right now.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 11:01:45 pm »
  I have dealt with these a lot before when I had less patience and practice setting up for bends, etc... and the key is in the tiller.   If it truly isn't hinging, you are good. 

If it is, you can saw a kerf right there and jam a patch in with glue.  If it's the result of a bigger soft spot that's tougher.

OR, you can tie on a stiffening patch to the front.  Get a scrap of osage with a chased ring for a back, about 2-1/2" long and 1/8" thick or so, and heat bend it into a shallow "U" shape.  Bevel the edges so it will blend in, spot glue it to the back of the bow, and tie it down with sinew or fine twine so tightly you pull the "U" out of the patch.  Don't glue it.  Doesn't seem like much, but if the hingey spot is 1/100 of an inch too thin, 1/8 of an inch will stiffen it a good bit.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 06:32:39 am »
Looks like a tiny tention fracture to me.your good to go !imho!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 07:52:12 am »
Tracker, I don't see any hinging. Looks like it happened from the straightening process.

I've had that happen. I put in some superglue and then wrapped it. With thread coated with epoxy. You could also used sinew inside glue. Up to you.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!