Author Topic: 2017 spring gobbler  (Read 9357 times)

Offline ntvbowyer1969

2017 spring gobbler
« on: March 21, 2018, 01:17:04 am »
This is my best turkey to date with my self bow. I had a great set up next to a fresh uprooted tree in a area i scouted prior to season opener here in Pennsylvania. I sat in the dark in a heavy rain with flashes of lightning all around. By the time the sun started to appear the rain slowed to a fine mist. As the songbirds awoke and started their morning songs i heard the first gobble from a close roosted tree. I made a soft call with just my mouth and he thundered a gobble in response. I did two more calls in the direction of the gobble and i heard him fly down to the ground close to the flat ridge top i was on. I pushed back into the fallen tree and took a viburnum shoot arrow fletched with last seasons turkey feathers. I made a razor sharp spoon trade point that was secured with sinew from a doe i shot that season. I did another call and i heard no response. It seemed like a eternity waiting to hear or see the bird. I tried one more call and started to shake as i saw the red white and blue head now trotting towards my location. when he was about 30yrds out he seen my two decoys and closed the distance fast. He fanned out and started his love dance around the decoys. He let out a gobble and i could feel it in my chest and it echoed down through the valley. I readied my osage bow as he spun and was now in between me and the decoys. AS  he turned to the right i drew, anchored,and released the arrow in one smooth motion. the turkey exploded in flapping of wings and leaves flying into the air. As noisy as it was for that moment in time it was now silent. It was so quiet now i could hear the drops of water from the mornings rain falling through the tree canopies. I waited another 15 min. or so until i decided to go see the outcome of this encounter. I was still shaking when i approached the spot where the turkey was standing. as my eyes gazed the landscape i could see the bird laying about 40yrds away down the ridge. My hunt was over as fast as it started and my hunt was over in the first hour of the opening day. I even made it back in time to find my coffee still hot in the pot. It was a great day.[im

g][/img]

Offline osage outlaw

Re: 2017 spring gobbler
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 08:37:04 am »
Great shot and nice bird!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ksnow

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 09:18:11 am »
Nice story, love it when it works out like that.  Great shooting, nice bird, beautiful bow. 

Kyle

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 10:38:14 am »
Great accomplishment! Congrats to you sir.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 10:48:15 am »
Thank you guys... Gonna try and replicate it this spring.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 12:21:19 pm »
Great recount of the hunt and very nice bird!  Hope  to have similar luck, without the heavy rain!  May have to take along my "wimp" stool, since it is harder to get up off the ground at my age!  Here, turkey, here, turkey :G :G - Thwap?!, I hope.  Some practice wouldn't hurt, either >:D
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 02:18:47 pm »
Thanks for firing me up! 

I have had a few of those bittersweet hunts where I was back home for the still warm coffee, too.  And even more of the days where I left in the dark and came home when it was dark again, cold-hurting-dejected-willing to do it all again!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 12:17:59 pm »
wow congrats on a agreat hunt,, seems easy when it happens like that,, but we all know the skill and hard work that went into making it an easy hunt

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 01:33:48 pm »
 Congratulations NTV. I'm hoping you have a repeat to. Great hunting.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 04:09:28 pm »
That a great accomplishment! Those birds get mighty tough to hunt especially with primitive gear.  Congrats
Northern Ute