Author Topic: Latest build .62 colonial smoothbore MORE PICS ADDED  (Read 7206 times)

Offline looper

Latest build .62 colonial smoothbore MORE PICS ADDED
« on: March 21, 2018, 02:51:52 am »
Here's a .62 cal smooth bore I just finished up.

The inspiration for this gun came when I was researching some of my family's history. I thought it would be an interesting exercise to build a gun which could have been carried by one of my forefathers. While a few of my ancestors were people of means, most were simple folk. My 5th Great Grandpa, Joseph Looper was one of the latter. He grew up in Cumberland PA, apprenticed as a carpenter, and shortly after reaching adulthood, set his sights on making a life for himself on the expanding frontier.

I imagined young Grandpa Looper probably carried a simple gun, most likely a smoothbore. Versatile enough for everything from black bear, to squirrels.  The gun could have been made by a skilled gunsmith, but wouldn't have been one of his finer pieces. Maybe it was built as a trade. "Mr. Looper, you build me a shed; I'll build you a gun. Even trade." About a week's worth of labor for each.

It would have been a simple gun, devoid of intricate carving and engraving. A functional piece; a conglomeration of parts collected over the years. A 20 gauge barrel and trigger guard from a French Fusee; an english lock; and a plain sawn piece of red maple. A simple gun. A frontier gun.

On to the build:

I had Greg Christian make me a full round .62 caliber barrel 42" long. The 1-1/16 breech taper for 12" to a 7/8" diameter. I wanted the extra beef in the barrel for some added weight and added safety in adding dovetails for the lugs and front sight. The extra weight also comes in handy when shooting 350 grain round balls. The lugs and front sight, which I made, were dovetailed in. The tang is held in by a long wood screw. The front sight I made from a 1968 half dollar. I'll probably redo it, as that year silver dollar isn't all silver. For a touch hole insert, I made one out of a grade 8 1/4-28 bolt. It's coned on the inside and slightly coned on the out.

The stock I carved from a full blank of plain sawn red maple from Dunlap. I inletted the barrel and drilled the ramrod hole myself. The only carving is slight "beavertail" around the tang. I added 1/4" offset and 3-1/2" drop. Pull is 14-1/4".

For a lock, I chose an English Queen Anne from L&R. It's a little smaller than Chamber's English lock, and a little less inexpensive. It sparks well and was easy to tune. It's held on with a 10-32 bolt at the breech and a 8-32 bolt at the front. I had to use a smaller bolt at the front due to a pretty thin web between the barrel and the ramrod hole.

The trigger guard is a cast french guard. It had a small casting flaw, which didn't bother me in the least. After pinning the guard on, I wasn't satisfied with it. I ended up taking off the pins, plugging the mortices and pin holes, and screwing the guard on. It now fits a little better to my liking, and, if the stock shrinks, I'll be able to cinch it up some.

The trigger I modified from a cast piece and decided not to use a trigger plate. The trigger pivots on a pin through the stock. The trigger pull, if I do say so myself, is pretty danged good. Clean, crisp, with very little slack. It's light, but not too light, if you know what I mean.

The buttplate and ramrod thimbles I formed from 16 ga sheet steel. The buttplate is attached with hobnails. I left some of the "pecker tracks" from the forming stage. On the thimbles, I filed a couple of "beauty rings". I chose to forgo an entry thimble and nose cap.

After a good scraping and whiskering, I used aqua fortis till I got the color I wanted, and applied beeswax for a finish. It's a weatherproof, easy to repair finish.

For the metal finish, I sanded down with 220 and applied some liquid cold blue. I then wiped it back with some steel wool to get a slight patina. I'm still may fool around with it some more.

The ramrod is hickory. I made a sheet metal tip for it. It's 3" long, soldered along the seam and pinned in place. The end is tapped 8-32 for jags and pullers. On the other end, I just flared the hickory.

Overall, I very happy with it. It weighs 7 lbs 6 oz, with a 14-1/4" pull. I'll be adding some minor engraving in the near future, but need a little more practice on round surfaces before I make the full commitment.

I do need to add that Don Bruton has been a great mentor to me. I can't tell you how valuable it is to have someone with his knowledge and experience close by.

Let me add a little about the aesthetics of this gun. My personal preference is to build guns that appear as though they were plucked out of history. Creating a sense of history of a piece is part of my artistic expression. Some folks, like Jack Hubbard, whom I greatly admire, btw, build guns that looked like they have a decade of hard use and neglect. I don't take it that far, but I also don't want to create a gun that looked like it just came out a crate, either. I want to leave the serious "character-building" of my guns to take place by use in the field. This particular gun is going to be chasing turkey and hogs with me very soon.

I also prefer to build a gun that is in keeping with the quality of colonial gunsmiths of the 18th century. Tool marks are commonplace and rarely is perfection seen, especially on the more common guns.

I'll add some more detailed pictures later. But for now:

« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 08:17:53 pm by looper »

Offline Stoker

Re: Latest build .62 colonial smoothbore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 08:39:06 am »
Great story. Nice gun, very well done. I'm sure the turkeys won't like it much   ;)
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline johnfolchetti

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 09:32:01 am »
Good story. Nice Build. More pics & good luck in the turkey woods

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 03:33:13 am »
Nice - enjoyed Your story  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 07:57:30 am »
Quality work for sure. I like to change things up a little to be "different" as well.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 01:58:57 pm »
I have never understood the fools that build a gun to look like it is two hundred years old and then carry it for re-enacting or rendezvous.  I mean, if someone was carrying a 200 yr old gun in 1820, they would be carrying a 1620's era "gonne"!  Normal wear and tear is one thing, but boiling a barrel in bleach to pit it out is simply stupidity run amok.

Whatcha got there is something I can respect, Mr. Looper.  But could you do me a couple favors?  Please post a few more pics? Oh, and get it patterned nicely for turkey and bring it to camp in May over here.  I would sure be pleased to take a bird with it, hehehe!  Be very pleased to make room for you and that fine thing!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 04:48:41 pm »
Dang! That is real pretty in a plain sort of way. And I want one real bad.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline looper

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 07:56:40 pm »
I'll get some more pics up this weekend. I've been doing a little tweaking on it, fixing some things that were bugging me.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 05:57:35 pm »
Great write up and I definitely look forward to more photos!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline looper

Re: Latest build .62 colonial smoothbore MORE PICS ADDED
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 07:02:38 pm »

Offline looper

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 07:04:15 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:08:19 pm by looper »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 07:28:16 pm »
Eyup! That's nice.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 09:21:28 pm »
That's a fine looking gun and a great story to go with it.  :OK
Glad to see/hear that Greg Christian is still making guns, well, barrels. I own two of his smooth bores.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 12:31:30 pm »
What an awesome thing.  All your details are worth appreciating, including your write up of the project.  This post makes me daydream! :)
1’—>1’

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 01:00:47 pm »
I could definitely see that being brought along even today on someone’s homesteading journey. Looks great bud! I need to go work on mine and threads like this are super motivating!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.