Author Topic: Tru oil partial refinish  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Stefan

Tru oil partial refinish
« on: March 21, 2018, 02:49:04 pm »
Hi all,

I have recently acquired a very nice bow (reflex deflex with fiberglass (!)). I love it but I am not sure about the arrow shelf, I like to make my bows as much center shot as possible.

The bow is finished with tru oil. If I make the shelf deeper by removing some wood, would it be easy to do a partial refinish with the tru oil? Will it blend in? I would hate to ruin the bow or would had to refinish the hole thing. The bow is about 2 years old.

Thank you in advance for the input. Greeting, Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline Springbuck

Re: Tru oil partial refinish
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 03:06:02 pm »
  If you are SURE of the dye or stain used, you should have no problems.   Occasionally when I have taken off a patch of finish and re-stained, the stain will leave a slightly darker ring at the edges of the clear coat I didn't sand off.   Mostly, just really do a great job with the sanding in that area because the difference between a good and a mediocre sanding job WILL show up under the finish.

If you can, also figure out what the varnish or clear coat finish was.  A lot of fiberglass bowyers use a 2 part spray on epoxy, some big operations even use UV-cured epoxy like flooring boards get.  It's kind of hard to reproduce the look exactly. Any durable finish will work, but may no look exactly the same.  You can even just use actual epoxy (like 2-ton stuff from wherever) and smooth it on if the patch is small.  It goes on thick and leaves you with more sanding and steel wool work, but it looks fine.

BTW, this forum i really intended for guys who are in to primitive bows, selfbows, all-wood bows and hi8storical composites.  You are CERTAINLY welcome to hang around, but if you need a place to go with questions about fiberglass bows, I recommend "stickbow.com" and "tradgang.com".  So many good, knowledgeable traditional guys on both sites.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 03:15:45 pm »
Tru Oil patches very easily. A good buffing with 0000 steel wool or fine sandpaper will smooth out the edges and the new Tru Oil will go down over the newly exposed wood(glass). Buff between coats of Tru Oil with 0000 steel wool. Once it's done you will never notice the Tru Oil repair.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 03:33:55 pm »
  Thanks, Pat.  I assumed he was cutting well into the old finish. 

Offline Stefan

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 11:56:53 am »
Thanks Pat.and Springbuck! You answered my question.

@ Springbuck, I am not particulary a fiberglass guy, wish I had some time to build some new bows...
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo