Author Topic: yet again, i need tips.  (Read 9832 times)

Offline recurve shooter

yet again, i need tips.
« on: March 26, 2008, 10:49:40 pm »
as yall can probably tell, i aint embarrased to ask for tips. yall realy helped with your tips on shooting technique. i can now hit a milk jug precistantly from 15 yards. the only real variation in my shots comes from the fact that my arrows wobble wildly when they leave the bow. the only thing i know to do would be to get some turky fletched arrows. other than that i dont know. i aint really expecting much, but is there any secrets i dont know?  oh, could it be my spine weight? iv heard that stiff spines can cause that on bows that arnt center shot.
lets just shoot it

wvfknapper

Re: yet again, i need tips.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 11:15:06 pm »
Are you using feathers or plastic vanes?  Plastic vanes don't work on a longbow.........Is the wobble side to side or up and down? Is your release smooth and not jerky? Are you getting a full draw as this affects the spine..........Lots of things could cause a wobble other than spine.

wvflintknapper

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 11:25:16 pm »
can depend type of head used could be your release but ill let some of the old dudes chime in... ;D ;D ;D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 11:26:03 pm »
How wide is your riser??? the wider the Handle the more the Paradox....the lighter the Spine you need to compensate
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 11:33:50 pm »
oh really?... the wider the handle the more off it can shoot?that what your sayin yankee..? ??? :)
Modern Day Tramp

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 11:36:02 pm »
oh really?... the wider the handle the more off it can shoot?that what your sayin yankee..? ??? :)

Yep....the wider the Handle the farther the Arrow has to go around to come back on track....unless you have a cut in sight window....thats a different Bird all together.... ca-peche???
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 11:43:03 pm »
yeah, i shoot plastic venes. they work fine on recurve. gota buy new arrows i can see. :-\ im looking at the bow, it isnt a bend-in-the-handle, and it is a really simple designe, it has no fancy handle or anything, just a thick(not wide) part. its about 1 1/2 inches wide, maby an inch. it has a 45 lb draw at 28, i draw 30. my relice is good, and im shooting 100 grain field tips (yeah, i know, bad, i shoot modern arrows) what kinda spine should i look for?
lets just shoot it

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 11:53:31 pm »
I shoot 50-55 pound Paddle Bows...with an inch and a quarter wide Handle...28 inch draw....and I shoot 31 inch long  Hardwood Arrows with 125 grain Points....and they are Spined at 45 pounds...because of the Wide Handle Area that the Arrow has to go around...the Spine has to be lower...at least in my case it always does....you will get more answers here in a Bit...I guarantee you will....
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 12:05:36 am »
oh yeah i know about spine was thinkin you meant baout it would cause bad handshock or throw ya off or something. never mind
Modern Day Tramp

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 12:08:55 am »
oh yeah i know about spine was thinkin you meant baout it would cause bad handshock or throw ya off or something. never mind

It will throw you off...if your Arrows are spined too Stiff...and you have a Wide Handle area...theArrow will veer way to the Left...instead of bending around the Handle....
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 12:29:11 am »
yeah sorry i cant explain what i thought, yeah i understand the spine of the arrow for a selfbow having to "wrap" around the bow and a center cut bow is less touchy about spine.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 12:56:57 am »
im going to order some lighter spined, feather fletched arrows. think it will do the trick.
lets just shoot it

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 01:46:12 am »
1 1/2 inches wide, maby an inch. it has a 45 lb draw at 28, i draw 30. my relice is good, and im shooting 100 grain field tips (yeah, i know, bad, i shoot modern arrows) what kinda spine should i look for?
If your bow is 45#@28" and you draw to 30 you are probably around 50#.  Arrow spine is measured for a 28" shaft and every inch over that you can subtract about 5# of spine.  For a long bow you want about 10# under the draw weight.  You want a 31" arrow. I would order arrows about 50-55# spine.  The extra length will make them shoot like 40# spine.  If they are a little stiff you can always sand a little toward the back of the arrow which will decrease the spine a little.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 02:02:32 am »
cool, thats what i needed. thanx justin. oh, i just chased a rabit through my backyard with my bow. he didnt like the idea of becomeing dinner, so he ran. next time mr. rabbit.
lets just shoot it

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 02:04:34 am »
don't use a Blunt n them....might as well use a Broadhead....I hit one the other night with a Homemade Birdcage Blunt....and it blew a 3 inch hole through the Poor thing!!!!
2024...We Will Overcome