Author Topic: Maple Mollegabet 45# @ 28", 66" ntn; finished pics page 2.  (Read 5489 times)

Offline Julian

Maple Mollegabet 45# @ 28", 66" ntn; finished pics page 2.
« on: March 22, 2018, 01:18:35 am »
This bow I'm working on is a kind of american longbow / pyramid bow / mollegabet hybrid.

I've finished the starting profile, and I have a question about the order in which to do things.

I want to back this bow with linen, as it has a bit of planer snipe on the back, and I also want to heat treat the belly and hopefully induce some reflex. Obviously I should wait to back the bow until after I'm done with heat treat, but how much tillering should I do before I do this stuff? At the moment the bow is floor tillered.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:48:22 am by Julian »

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Starting a mollegabet style bow, I'll post my progress in here.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 01:25:29 am »
I usually do my heat treat once I get the stave braced and evened out. That way you should have minimal belly cell damage and the limbs are thin enough you can easily get the limbs to temperature for a good heat treat. Then I would add the backing after heat treat but before continuin much further. Though I will frequently take the stave to nearly full draw before adding the backing to be sure it can handle the stresses on its own, then Add the backing for reassurance.

Hope that helps a little
Kyle

Offline Julian

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 01:47:07 am »
Sounds good kyle, thanks.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 07:24:36 am »
Looking good, make sure you post all the minor details. Id like to try that one day.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 03:01:34 pm »
 I heat treat somewhere between floor tiller and brace height.

If you aren't going for a LOT of reflex, allow me to suggest toasting the bending portions flat and straight, and putting the reflex right at the base of the levers.  For some reason doing it this way has always seemed to make it easier to tiller and keep the profile throughout the tiller.

I have set the limbs forward slightly at the handle to create a couple inches of reflex, but that seemed to complicate getting the inner limbs to bend evenly.  Like they were stubborn right off the fades, and when I go that fixed, then they acted too stiff closer to the transition, and took more set both bows I made.

It worked better when I tried reflexing the levers into a smooth gradual curves, (again about 2"), but that also made the "outer" inners want to bend too much, and seemed to add some lateral instability (vibration at release).

My best mollies had the whole middle, handle and bending limbs straight and flat as a board once tempered, and just a slight angle forward built right in at the transition, again 2" or so.  If you have the width, the middle will take almost zero set.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 03:03:08 pm »
Oh, and BTW, if you want, you can only back the inner limbs with the linen and finish with a nice binding at the transitions.   The outer limbs hardly bend and would have to be all chewed up to need the backing.

Offline Julian

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 07:06:46 pm »

If you aren't going for a LOT of reflex, allow me to suggest toasting the bending portions flat and straight, and putting the reflex right at the base of the levers.  For some reason doing it this way has always seemed to make it easier to tiller and keep the profile throughout the tiller.

That sounds good, I'll give it a try.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 07:34:16 pm »
First question....what kind of wood is it?.....
Second question .... why do you want to back it with linen , and what does "bit of planer snipe on the back" mean".... does it need it?
Again why do you want to " all of this stuff" to it.?
What design is the wood  telling you to do?
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline RatherBinTheWoods

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 11:29:15 am »
I tiller as far as possible before heat treat often as far as 24 inches. You run the risk of getting a bit of set developing doing it that way you could argue (quite rightly) but if I get any inkling it's going that way I normally put a bit of reflex in as I am heat treating too and it doesn't ever seem to affect the bow performance significantly and 9 times out of 10 much of the reflex stays put too. Otherwise I think you are scraping off much of the best heat treated wood in finishing off the tillering. I have found linen can go on late or even after it's tillered too so no problem there

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 03:38:56 pm »
   Danzn:  "bit of planer snipe on the back" probably means he nicked or slightly shaved in to the top growth ring while removing the bark.

Offline Julian

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 12:27:34 am »
   Danzn:  "bit of planer snipe on the back" probably means he nicked or slightly shaved in to the top growth ring while removing the bark.

No, This is from a slab.

There are nicks in the back from when the slab was put through a thicknesser at the sawmill.

Offline Julian

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 12:29:57 am »
First question....what kind of wood is it?.....
Second question .... why do you want to back it with linen , and what does "bit of planer snipe on the back" mean".... does it need it?
Again why do you want to " all of this stuff" to it.?
What design is the wood  telling you to do?
DBar

It's sugar maple, from a board. The growth rings run perpendicular to the back of the bow. I want to back it with linen because I want to paint the back of the bow and it's a good paint bearing surface, and also because as I mentioned, there's little gouges in the back from a thicknesser machine at the sawmill, and I'm not sure I want to sand down the whole back to take them out.

I'm making a molle because I've already made a flatbow and a longbow from this slab and I like variety.

Offline Julian

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 12:31:10 am »
So I decided to start making some videos on this bow, because I've always wanted to try that, and I figured why not.

https://youtu.be/btReoVTPqX8

So here's part 1.

If there's any rules against posting your own youtube content here let me know. It's not monetised at all so I don't see the issue.

Offline Springbuck

Re: Posting videos in this thread as I work on my maple mollegabet.
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 10:45:49 pm »
  I'll keep an eye out for the vids.

BTW, did your other slab-staves have the same kinds of nicks?

Offline Julian

Re: Posting videos in this thread as I work on my maple mollegabet.
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 04:02:06 am »
  I'll keep an eye out for the vids.

BTW, did your other slab-staves have the same kinds of nicks?

Yes, to a lesser extent. I tried to avoid them in layout. On my flatbow I planed them off with my block plane.

Here's what the nicks look like, incidentally.