Author Topic: Museum pieces  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Museum pieces
« on: March 30, 2018, 11:10:19 am »
Went to a museum in Santa Fe, NM yesterday.  The security guh told me no pictures so I had to take these very discretel on my cell,, sorry for the quality.  I had my good Nikon DSLR with me but would have been too obvious. 

Aparently this wasn't the location we really wanted to hit up.  They have locations throughout the area and the exhibit I really wanted to see was something like  Points in Time and was supposed to be a plethora of projectile points.  I had my kid with and no wife to herd her so I really didn't get a whole lot of quality time.  This location had mostly textiles and pottery, well worth the trip and $8 entry fee. I'll go back next week when she's in school and try to find the other location.  Fortunately there were some worthy specimens amongst the pottery.

I was amazed at how short the bows are and how narrow the broadheads.  Some of these arrows actually dated to the 1880's but I lost track of which ones.  Looked like the width of the broadheads was just a shade over a half inch wide and I'd guess between 14 and 16 gauge steel.

The bows werw sinew backed, looked to me like a single layer, and definately showed their age.  Shorter and wider than I would have thought.  Can't even begin to try and figure out what woods were used.

The last image is aweful, but I posted it because you can sort of see how short the fletchings are.  They weren't worn down over time I'm guessing, based on the sinew binding on both ends of the fletches.  Fletches were surprisingly only about 2 to 2.5 inches long.  These were dated to the 1880's as well if I remember correctly.

The gem of the whole experience was finally learning a couple of species of local plants to try to locate.  Wax current (Ribes inebrians) bow and arrow wood, and Apache Plume (Fallugia patadixal) arrow shafts.

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Mesophilic

Re: Museum pieces
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 11:17:41 am »
Oh yeah, and now I suppose I'm going to have to add a gull wing bow to my listb of unreasonable goals ti accomplish this year.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 11:31:27 am »
Apache?

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 11:36:59 am »
Yes Sir
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 11:50:15 am »
I had my kid with and no wife to herd her so I really didn't get a whole lot of quality time.

I hope you don't really mean that. I went through my kid's youth often thinking they were limiting my activities. But when I come down to my end, I won't be thinking that I wish I hadn't had to drag my kids around. I'll be thinking, I hope they come to see me.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 12:10:48 pm »
I think you took that comment out of context. 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 01:41:48 pm »
Very interesting.I've got to get to some of these museums around too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 02:37:10 pm »
I hope you don't really mean that.

Nah, just being snarky.  I really enjoy showing her history and my interests.   She made it all worth it when she saw the atlatl and asked me to make her another one since the one I made her when she was 5 is a bit small now.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 02:44:04 pm »
I think you took that comment out of context.

Of course, the context was a different subject.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 02:45:08 pm »
I hope you don't really mean that.

Nah, just being snarky.  I really enjoy showing her history and my interests.   She made it all worth it when she saw the atlatl and asked me to make her another one since the one I made her when she was 5 is a bit small now.

Now that's the good stuff. Memories in the making.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine