Author Topic: BBI Dimension Question  (Read 2471 times)

Offline ty_in_ND

BBI Dimension Question
« on: March 22, 2018, 07:41:25 pm »
Hey all! I've been trying to figure out how I want to build this bow, so I figured since I can't come to my own conclusion, I'll see what is advised from you guys.

My goal is to build a straight limbed bow that is around 50# @ 30".  My ipe belly is 72" long by 1 1/4" wide by 1/2" thick and my boo is planed down to 1/8" right now (I'll be tapering the thickness down to 1/16" as soon as I get the side profile set).

Would I be able to make a bow into more of a "Hill-style" longbow? That is, using a constant thickness and width taper and having a somewhat longer handle/riser section. If so, what dimensions would I use for my desired final product?

If it's not advisable, I understand. I just like HH bows and would like to try to replicate one without using "the F-word".  I would be willing to make this more of an American flatbow or even a pyramid bow.

Thanks!!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline JWMALONE

Re: BBI Dimension Question
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 07:50:40 pm »
I recently made a BBI, it is 62 inches n2n, 1 1/8th wide parallel out to 8 inches then tapers to 9/16 at the tips (could have went narrower) and it is #49 @26 think it had a 10 inch riser. I glued in a couple inches of reflex and still has an 1/8th after a few hundred arrows. Don't know if this helps.   Good luck.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 08:16:43 pm »
I saw that one and thought it turned out very well! I think your dimensions are more in the "flatbow" territory. If I don't end up making it as a Hill-style bow, I'll be using dimensions similar to yours... Maybe a touch longer, since I need to get 4 more inches of draw length!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 08:26:36 pm »
Never had a hill style bow, what would your dimensions be? I know from others ipe does better with narrower designs. So long and thin would be good. Don't know about the 1/2 inch though.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 09:32:47 pm »
Sounds totally reasonable.  Pearly made a nice Hill style in Hickory and Ipe.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 09:35:53 pm »
  I can't see anything wrong with your plan.  72" is plenty long for a slightly longer handle, and the design is proven.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 11:07:09 pm »
John, Hill bows taper continuously both in thickness and width. They also are fairly narrow. Modern glass HH bows tend to be around 1 1/8" wide.  I'm struggling to find the specifics on the early bows Howard made that were laminated bamboo, but these were also similarly shaped.  And I'm not too worried about the thickness of the ipe.  It doesn't take a lot of ipe to make a stout bow! I also won't care if it ends up a little lighter.

PatM, thanks for bringing up that bow! I saw it a while ago, but I forgot about it. While using the good ol' Google, I came across a multi-lam hickory Hill bow by Ryoon, but Pearl Drum's bow did not appear. I'll go and find it again.

Thanks for the encouragement, Springbuck. If anything, I'll wing it by using the dimensions I've found on other sites describing the dimensions of fiberglass HH bows.

Offline pnwarcher

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 01:00:33 am »
I think you have enough wood to make a good weight. Like you said, it doesn't take much with ipe. One thing to watch out for with a longer bow, make sure you get your tips nice and narrow. BBI bows can be prone to handshock because it's easy to leave the tips wider than they need to be without really realizing it. Especially on a 70+" longbow, you could get away with going very narrow, probably less than 3/8".
I have a set of ipe and boo in the rafters right now, so I'll be watching your progress for inspiration!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 01:11:40 am by pnwarcher »

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 07:04:37 am »
Sounds good Ty, keep us posted. Id  like to try one eventually. I'm starting to like the narrow designs, an HH would be perfect.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 07:40:12 am »
I think I can post progress pics!  I also found PD's bow and will use it as a reference.  And I'll keep those tips narrow. I was thinking of ending around 3/8". 

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 07:52:17 am »
Early Hill bows would not be quite so rigid in dimensions. He used a lot of varied materials through the years before the final stage of glass.

You can see his bows quite clearly in old pics and video as well as some surviving bows.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 08:39:55 am »
I like the idea.  I've always heard people talk about HH style bows, but never paid them much attention as I considered them to be FG bows. 
Do you plan to do a backset, flat, or string follow bow?  I believe most recreations are offered in those 3 choices.  It should make for a sweet shooting bow either way. 
If I were making it, which I think you just inspired me to give it a try, I would do 70", 1 3/16" wide straight taper to 3/8", ipe a little under 1/2" tapered 3/16" to the tips, 12" riser. 
Let us know how you proceed!

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 09:46:32 am »
Ben, I've heard string follow HH bows "shoot sweeter" (I think they mean not as much hand shock) and with a 30" draw, I don't necessarily need it to have a huge amount of backset.  However, I really love the look of the straight as an arrow after being unstrung profile.  My thought was to glue in 1-2" of reflex and see where she settles after I've shot her in.  This is a bit of an experiment for me, so it'll be a good place to see where it ends up.  As long as it ends between 1/2" on either side of being straight limbed, I'll be happy!

And Pat, I'll hunt down some pictures of Howard and try to see if I can garner anything from them.

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 10:34:12 am »
A few years ago John Schulz did a limited run of bamboo Hill style bows that closely follow the Hill non-glass form.  Google  "John Schulz parting shot" and you will see some clear pics.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 10:45:51 am »
I have a similar draw length (29.5") and I find that I gain considerable set going from 28" to 30".  I would do 3" reflex and hope for even profile but be happy however it turned out, but you may be better at tillering than me.   At that length and style it will be a good shooter however it turns out.