Author Topic: Osage In Ontario? (Or Michigan)  (Read 2029 times)

Offline WoodBenderDW

Osage In Ontario? (Or Michigan)
« on: March 23, 2018, 02:41:41 am »
Has anybody had any luck trying to find any good osage staves in Ontario, Canada? I really want my next bow to be an Osage recurve. I’m in Aylmer (close to London)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 10:59:46 am by WoodBenderDW »

Offline PatM

Re: Osage In Ontario?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 04:44:41 am »
I've never tried finding it but you're  close to the right area for it.

Offline WoodBenderDW

Re: Osage In Ontario?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 10:57:35 am »
What about in Michigan? Anyone have any luck there?

Offline PatM

Re: Osage In Ontario? (Or Michigan)
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 11:28:37 am »
I don't think finding Osage in Michigan is a problem.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 01:09:16 pm »
I haven't found any in Michigan but I know several people who have. I planted some seedlings last year and PNewton gave me several Osage Fruits last fall he got from trees he planted several years earlier. I plan on planting them this spring.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 01:58:13 am »
There is Osage growing in Michigan, but Ya really have to put in Your time searching back roads. Not native, it was transplanted as a natural barrier on Farms - generaly along the road . Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline redhillwoods

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 09:49:36 am »
There is a surprising amount of osage in Ontario but it's all clustered between Niagara and Hamilton. as soon as you go over the skyway bridge its gone

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 10:18:37 am »

I don't think finding Osage in Michigan is a problem.

Yes it is, its very few and far between. The southwest part of our state has okay numbers if you hear about it, you wont see it from your truck window very often. Other than that you could drive for countless counties and not find any. Fence rows are being tore out every day and have been for decades. Not to  mention it was never popular up here, so its not common to find mile long rows of it, I've never seen one.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ThreeSons

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 10:03:21 am »
There is a great big wind row around the caledon area. Cool story how they got there. You can read about it on the town's website. I have some seedling if you are interested in planting some. Not sure how the rpi would be growing in this climate. Never cut into any here. Pm me if you want. Peter from Guelph area (B)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 12:11:44 pm »
I have some Osage from Southern Ontario, both staves and boards.  The wood is as good as wood that I got from across the border
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 12:43:06 pm »
  Interesting that the weather doesn't seem to be a limiting factor here if that famous hedge is any indication.

Offline ThreeSons

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 03:16:23 pm »
That's good to know. For some reason I would have thought that they would produce tighter growth rings here. I'm still very much a novice but I thought with Osage we were looking for larger late wood to early wood ratio. Let me know. Also I know this is slightly off the topic but are there any kind of bow jamboree in Ontario? Would be cool to get together and make/shoot. Peter

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 04:01:09 pm »
The growing season and nutrient levels are surely adequate to still allow the tree to lay down thick rings.  Black Locust isn't Native up here and it still can have huge rings.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 04:26:48 pm »
I got my hands on a log in Michigan that was cut in a yard. They have a few trees but they won't part with any. I only know of a couple other trees in my area one being mine that is about 15 years old.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 06:22:05 pm »
I picked up a couple large staves of BL about 15 years ago that came from Southern Ontario.  The wood had very thick rings and it was the best Locust I have ever worked.  Made some great bows
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com