Author Topic: Gender Identity  (Read 3836 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Gender Identity
« on: March 25, 2018, 06:09:50 pm »
I've always thought of bows as female and arrows as male.

Do you folks think the same? Or perhaps you don't think of bows and arrows as having gender at all? I know this is kind of a weird topic, but I'm curious. I can't help it!  O:)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Parnell

Re: Gender Identity
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 06:16:40 pm »
I’ll refer to a bow as she without really considering it.  Never really thought about the arrows, but I bet traditionally most would agree.
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 06:22:40 pm »
I agree with Steve.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 06:51:10 pm »
Back when I named my bows they all had masculine names like Thor, Brutus, Thumper (not the rabbit) and such. I named one "goof-up" one time because I made so many mistakes when I made it. Never give a bow a disrespectful name, it will get even.

For me arrows are just arrows, not masculine or feminine.

I saw a bow in a magazine where a guy had printed its name in big letters all the way up the bows limbs, "Killer-Driller", I suspect the bow had put a lot of game on the ground for him.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 07:05:30 pm »
lol Eric.  ;D
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 07:26:43 pm »
It for both :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 08:09:50 pm »
I think in this day and age you are supposed to let the bow and arrows decide for themselves which gender they associate with  ::)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Morgan

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 11:34:47 pm »
I think in this day and age you are supposed to let the bow and arrows decide for themselves which gender they associate with  ::)
Lmao!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 05:27:42 am »
I've almost always thought of my bows as ladies. I guess it's all the curves and maybe like Clint once told me I spend to much time in a tractor.lol. Sure glad they don't need to use the restroom. Never really thought about the arrows.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 06:03:11 am »

;D ;D

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 07:15:54 am »
Yep , usually think of my bows as girls even though if I name them it usually don't reflect that. Never really thought about the arrows although I did have one I called Elvis, when I finely lost it I said " Elvis has left the building "  ;) :) Also I can see where this topic can go south quickly.  ;) :D :D
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 07:30:44 am »
Pappy....Speaking from experience???Ha Ha Ha.Like the Elvis/arrow scenario though....lol.
That's one thing nowadays though people don't name their bows any more like I've seen.Although I've seen BJ do it lately.I'm guilty of not doing it too.
 (-P
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:42:57 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 07:39:55 am »
I've named most of the bows I made. Like Pappy I think of them as ladies but I don't necessarily reflex that in the name. Might get the wife upset if I did and I can't name em al Susie.lol
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 08:33:42 am »
Bows, fast cars, cool boats and the like are all "she's".
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 12:02:22 pm »
Bows, fast cars, cool boats and the like are all "she's".

And so are flintlocks.  My sweet little .36 flinter is long, lean, and just a hit of outgrowing her tomboyish days for being a fine young lady...She's "Perty Girl".  But my early Lancaster has filled out those curves...I like big butts and I cannot lie.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.