Author Topic: Hawgs  (Read 5631 times)

gene roberts

Hawgs
« on: May 09, 2008, 12:00:06 am »
I'm goin on my first hawg hunt.Will you please show a pic of the kill zone on them??

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hawgs
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 12:25:13 am »
Gene, I don't have a pic or first hand knowledge( ::) ) but a quartering away shot, from behind the last rib to the off side shoulder and keep it in the bottom third of the body.  I guess it would depend of the pig(or HOG) you shoot. The big ones have a thick plate across their shoulders and down their sides that will impede your arrow.         Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gene roberts

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 12:34:57 am »
Thanks,but I'm talkin bout a broadside shot.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:42:07 am »
  Gene, It is not the same as a deer. If it is a straight on shot,send it right down the middle at the base of the neck. It will be easy to see if it is straight on,The pig will have it's head in the air trying to smell you. From the side stick it in just above the elbow and tight in the arm pit. It is high. Either way get on it quick and make it run ,and not lay down. Unlike a deer. The fat closes the hole and you will lose the blood trail pretty quick if you don't have a heart or double lung shot. Any less then those two shots you better keep after them and keep sticking them till they fall. That's my opinion based on hunting them in thick stuff.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

gene roberts

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 12:51:09 am »
O,cool.Thanks for the info.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 12:52:42 am »
  Good luck and have fun. Keep the wind in your face, the hogs will.
Lakeland, Florida

gene roberts

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 12:59:04 am »
That's very good advise. ;D

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 01:59:10 am »
  Don't forget to send in a hunt report afterward's whether you draw blood or not.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

kdub

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 08:44:05 am »
There is a very good picture of a hogs anatomy on www.texasboars.com.  Good luck on them hogs! Where are you huntin' at?

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 04:23:41 pm »
Heres a good pic I found.  My experience with the 3 hogs I've shot has been to shoot them lower and tighter to the shoulder than you would on a deer.  My first hog I hit right on his elbow and I thought "Oh no, I hit him way too low!!"   Well, that pig ran 30 yards and flopped over, LOL.  Also, on the bigger pigs, the fat shield gets thicker higher up on the body.   I have seen hogs shot that you would think,  "Man, thats a great double lung shot!"  and find out the arrow didnt even hit lung at all, either too far back, or too high. 

"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline Postman

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 04:27:05 pm »
Good luck Gene - how far are ya from Dadeville / lake martin? My sister lives there.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

gene roberts

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 08:08:38 pm »
I'm huntin close to mobile Alabama.I live inb the North East Corner. Thanks for the visuals and I'll get that report to yall.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 08:18:39 pm »
 Good picture, don't know why I said high but you see what I meant about tuck it in tight behind the Elbow.
Lakeland, Florida