Author Topic: Some kids arrows how I make em  (Read 2979 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Some kids arrows how I make em
« on: March 27, 2018, 08:38:54 am »
     Like my adult bows and arrows, I strive to improve my kids bows and arrows too. I made a sweet little Osage kids bow. It's 10 lbs at 15", static recurves, some really nice character. It needed some arrows made just for it to make it really shine.
     I straighten out some Red Osier shoot shafts. Not sure of the spine was to light to hang two lbs from. They weigh about 8 grams and where harvested over two years ago. I straighten them and made copper wire cold forged points. I sinew wrapped self notches and front of shafts. I put 1/8" drill bit in vice standing straight up. I turned shaft like a hand drill to bottom of drill bit. I bareshafted them by shortening copper wire till right. Then gave them Bjrogg markings and sinew wrapped wild turkey fletching. These fly great but are definitely adult supervision only. I might have to try squirrel hunting with this combination.
    Enough Talk
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Some kids arrows how I make em
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 08:40:31 am »
Oh and the center one is Flint Ridge I knapped especially for it.
Bjrogg

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 08:48:22 am »
Looks good  bj
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 10:45:58 am »
Real nice!  Definitely use with adult supervision only!  Neat points.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 11:40:12 am »
Thanks Bill they fly real nice to. Hopefully I can teach the grandkids better with this setup.

Yes adult supervision for sure Hawkdancer but they probably always should be. I remember the dumb s&'lt I did when I was a kid.
Bjrogg

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 12:24:23 pm »
Nice package, Brian.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 02:44:47 pm »
how do those hold up? I tried making primitive target points from double headed nails years back. I set them in the shaft and wrapped it with sinew but hard contact with a rock or tree and the front of the arrow still blew up. 9mm casings worked though as it acting as a sheath seemed the only way to prevent it, but then its not primitive but using existing resources.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 04:05:00 pm »
Great job!
Northern Ute

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 05:05:24 pm »
Thanks Knoll
Rob I'm trying to always shoot them in targets or big cardboard box. Have missed and hit OSB and sunk point in to where I had to use leatherman to pull it out. Have curled copper point around when hit wall. Did break a forsythia once but not at point. It broke halfway back shaft from vibration when hit wall. They haven't really been kid tested yet though. I'm hoping the weather warms up a bit. Really want to get the grandkids kids outside and play with grandpa's toy.
Thanks Redhand
Bjrogg

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 06:49:37 pm »
The kids should have a lot of fun with those.

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 09:44:35 pm »
beautiful arrows, your signature colours and style :OK

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 05:58:27 am »
Thanks Rob I'm sure hoping the weather is nice enough for us to play outside for Easter but I think their saying another inch of snow. Really want to get the grandkids out do some shooting.

Thanks Wayne, gotta know which buffalo is mine.lol. Just kinda the markings I started with and decided to stick with them.

Bjrogg